Manhattan, Kansas area briefs

0
80

Kansas impacted by massive beef recall
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has extended a massive beef recall to include retail locations in Kansas, including Salina, Hays, Goodland, Great Bend, Hays and more. The beef originated from a slaughterhouse in California that has been accused of illegally selling meat from sick animals. Last month, the USDA issued a recall for more than 8.7 million pounds of beef. The recall now affects 36 states, according to KSHB News in Kansas City, and has impacted national chains like Walmart, and popular products, like Hot Pockets, according to the Hays Post.
The recall does not include ground beef, but does include beef cheeks, lips, liver, tripe, tongue, veal cuts, and bones and trim, according to the USDA.

There have been no reports of illness from consuming the meat at this time. The investigation into the slaughterhouse is ongoing.

For more information on the recall, go to 1.usa.gov/1cIFgkp and scroll to page 2 for the full list of retailers affected, or page 106 for the full list of Kansas locations impacted.

Free technology movie series announced
The Department of Computing and Information Sciences has released the full list of their Computers and Technology Movie Series for this year. All films will be screened in Nichols Hall room 126, and are free and open to the public. Further information about the movies and screen times will be made available on their official Facebook page at facebook.com/KSUCompTechMovies/

March 13: “Iron Man”
March 27: “Real Steel”
April 3: “Gravity”
April 10: “Sunshine”
April 17: “The Core”
May 1: “Pirates of Silicon Valley”
May 8: “The Fifth Estate”
June 5: “Jobs”
June 12: “RoboCop” (Original 1987 version)
July 10: “Total Recall” (Original 1990 version)
July 17: “Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

The Graduate School announces final doctoral dissertations
The final doctoral dissertation of Bridget Stegman, “A Multiple Case Study of Elementary Principals in High Poverty Schools with Classroom Teachers Integrating New Literacies: Knowledge, Dispositions, and Actions,” will be held today at 12:30 p.m. in Bluemont Hall room 106.
The final doctoral dissertation of
Raghavendra Amachawadi, “Ecology of Antibiotic Resistance Determinants Among Enterococcus spp. of Cattle and Swine Diets Supplemented with Copper,” will be held April 1 at 2 p.m. in the Mara Conference Center.
The final doctoral dissertation of Xiangdong Li, The Use of Adjuvants to Increase Efficacy of PRRSV Modified Live Vaccines,will be held April 7 at 9:30 a.m. in Coles Hall room 343.
The final doctoral dissertation of Christian Alvarado-Gilis, Dietary Factors Affecting Tissue Profiles of Long Chain Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids in Cattle, will be held April 16 at 2 p.m. in Call Hall room 140.
The final doctoral dissertation of Huubinh Le, Essays on the Cost Effects of Airline Mergers and Alliances, will be held April 16 at 1:30 p.m. in Waters Hall room 329.
The final doctoral dissertation of Sijia Xiang, Semiparametric Mixture Models,will be held April 18 at 9 a.m. in Durland Hall room 1063.