College of Agriculture celebrates annual Ag Fest

1
119
Photo by Kate Hagans | The Collegian Logan Mize and his band entertain the Ag Fest crowd with a well known song in the Wareham Opera House April 4, 2013. Logan Mize is a Country music artist /songwriter from Clearwater, Kansas.

Agriculture affects everyone, every day.

The K-State College of Agriculture will celebrate the meaning and value of agriculture this week during their annual Ag Fest.

This year’s theme for Ag Fest is “9 by 2050: Challenge Accepted,” which reflects the challenge the agriculture industry faces in feeding the plant’s population, which is expected to reach 9 billion by the year 2050.

Alexis Wingerson, senior in horticulture, is the College of Agriculture Student Council’s activities director for Ag Fest week. She hopes they will be able to educate people about the role agriculture plays in their lives, including in the products they use.

“Yes, we eat every day, but every product we use has to come from somewhere and agriculture provides those inputs,” Wingerson said.

Jordan Hildebrand, senior in agricultural journalism and communications, has been working to keep representatives informed and ensure the week runs smoothly, she said.

We hope to not only spread agriculture’s story on campus, but also to give back to our community,” Hildebrand said. “We are really focusing on not just making this an exclusive College of Agriculture event, but trying to include all of the K-State campus and the community as well.”

Ag Fest week will incorporate a social media challenge to help start discussions. Ag Fest judges will look for facts about agriculture or why it is important, from participants who post using #agfest with their post.

Another huge aspect of Ag Fest is giving.

Ag Fest representatives will be reaching out to inform the public about agriculture at the Manhattan Public Library, hosting a “Give Thanks to Agriculture” booth in the K-State Student Union and holding hands-on demonstrations about agriculture for elementary school students in Weber Arena.

Wingerson said she looks at agriculture as more than just producing food.

“(It) isn’t just about producing enough food, it’s about realizing just how much agriculture touches our lives and being informed about the decisions we make in those areas,” Wingerson said.

Hildebrand said she see agriculture as a key to success in the future.

“To me, agriculture is a way of life and the hope for the future,” Hildebrand said.

Evan Woodbury, sophomore in agricultural education, and treasurer for the College of Agriculture Student Council, said he is looking forward to celebrating Ag Fest week for his second time at K-State.

“Ag Fest week is a way to continue to make agriculture known and to help people understand why it is important of life,” Woodbury said.