K-State, Manhattan area briefs for 3/24/14

0
162

Salvation Army seeks volunteers for youth program
Manhattan Salvation Army needs volunteers to help launch a community youth program called Sunbeams and Explorers. The program will provide activities for youths of various age groups that will help nurture creativity while developing life skills to help them into adulthood. Volunteers will act as leaders in the program to mentor youth. For more information or to volunteer, contact Kirsten Aho at 785-341-0751.

1st Infantry men and St. Francis, Kan. resident receive Medals of Honor
Two veterans from the 1st Infantry Division of Fort Riley were among 24 men to receive the Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, at a ceremony on Tuesday. A Kansas man from the 24th Infantry Division also received the award. It was the largest Medal of Honor ceremony in history, due in part to the Defense Authorization Act, which called for a review of Jewish and Hispanic veterans to ensure there was no prejudice shown in Medal of Honor recipients.

Sgt. Alfred Nietzel was recognized posthumously for his actions during the Second World War in Heistern, Germany, on Nov. 18, 1944. When his unit was about to be overrun by enemy forces, Nietzel, who was originally from Queens, NY, covered his squad members and allowed them to escape. Nietzel, a member of Company H, 2nd Battalion, 16th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division, was killed by an enemy hand grenade.

Sgt. Candelario Garcia was recognized for his actions during the Vietnam War. On Dec. 8, 1968, Garcia destroyed two enemy machine gun positions in an attempt to aid casualties that were in the open and under fire near Lai Khe, Vietnam. Garcia was a member of Company B, 1st Battalion, 2nd Infantry, 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division. He died in his hometown of Coriscana, Texas on Jan. 10, 2013.

Also recognized was Sgt. Jack Weinstein of St. Francis, Kan., a member of Company G, 21st Infantry Regiment, 24th Infantry Division. Weinstein’s platoon came under attack on Oct. 19, 1951, in the vicinity of Kumson, Korea. Weinstein volunteered to provide cover while his men withdrew. After running out of ammunition, he used enemy grenades around him to keep the enemy forces back. Weinstein held his position until friendly forces arrived. Weinstein died on April 20, 2006.

The Graduate School announces final doctoral dissertations
The final doctoral dissertation of
Marcie Lechtenberg, “Therapists as Agents of Social Control: A Grounded Theory of Ethical and Practical Implications,” will be held April 15 at 2:30 p.m. in room 214 of the Campus Creek Complex.

The final doctoral dissertation of Tamara Lynn, “Irony of a Revolution: How Grassroots Organizations Reinforced Power Structures they Fought to Resist,” will be held March 31 at 2:30 p.m. in Waters Hall room 201A.

The final doctoral dissertation of Cleion Morton, “Exploring Teacher Emotional Intelligence and Its Impact on School Climate,” will be held April 8 at 1:30 p.m. in Bluemont Hall room 368.

Central Kansas town suffers from shortage of workers
McPherson, Kan. and the County of McPherson have too many jobs and too few people to take them. According to the McPherson Sentinel, this is a problem seen in other rural areas with population decline. McPherson has been attracting more employees from surrounding areas with online job postings, but some of the problems they face include finding flexible arrangements for single-parent households, commuting and cost of living.
McPherson is located approximately 35 miles south of Salina on I-135/US 81 N.

Three confirmed cases of dogs poisoned in Topeka
Animal advocates are warning Topeka residents to be vigilant after several dogs were fed rat poison by persons unknown. Rumors have been circulating that as many as 15 or 20 dogs were poisoned, but WIBW 13 News could only confirm three. A witness reported someone in a white van throwing something into the back yard of Topeka resident Carmen Dominguez. Soon after, her three dogs became sick and one of them died. WIBW advises anyone who believes their dog has been poisoned to call Topeka Police and Animal Control for assistance.