K-State equestrian team to compete for Big 12 title

0
92

The K-State Wildcat equestrian team will compete in the Big 12 Championship in Waco, Texas, starting at 10 a.m. today against the Oklahoma State Cowgirls.

The Wildcats have the No. 4 seed in the competition, setting them up against the top-seeded Cowgirls. K-State enters the competition after winning the last two meets of their regular season; the Wildcats fell to Oklahoma State back in February. If K-State can get past the Cowgirls this time, they will take on the winner of the Baylor vs. TCU match on Saturday in the championship match.

Senior Rachel Webster and junior Madison Wayda will lead the Wildcats in the Hunter Seat while seniors Kelly Bovaird and Jordan Cox will lead K-State in the Western arena. Webster and Bovaird both picked up two wins last year in the Big 12 championships, so the Wildcats have no shortage of experience.

“We are thrilled to finally be headed to the Big 12 Championship,” head coach Casie Maxwell said, according to K-State Sports. “The team has been working extremely hard this season to prepare for the post-season so now we hope to just enjoy the moment and ride like we know how. It will be different this year to compete five riders, but it is a good way to keep some consistency to what we do in the regular season.”