K-State, Manhattan area briefs for 3/31/14

3
220

Riley County one of few Kansas counties to gain residents through migration in last 4 years
The latest census figures show that Riley County continues to be a favorite for places to live for Kansas residents over the last several years.
Despite recent efforts to revitalize the economy, the state overall has lost more citizens to outward migration than it has gained from inward migration, according to numbers released by the Census Bureau last Thursday.
Riley County, however, saw its population grow; more than 1,500 people migrated to the community from 2010 to 2013.
The state lost a net of 10,197 people who moved out of state between 2010 and 2013. Specifically, the net loss from July of 2012 to July 2013 put Kansas in the bottom 10 states people moved to, along with
New York, California, New Jersey, New Mexico, Ohio, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Connecticut.
Some regions in Kansas were harder hit than others. Sedgwick County lost more people than any other county, with more than 5,000 people migrating over a three year period. Other areas, however, saw substantial growth. Johnson County, for example, gained 9,699 people.
Overall, Kansas’ population grew to approximately 2.9 million people after 40,777 more births were recorded than the number of recorded deaths and losses to migration.

Mild earthquakes felt in southern Kansas, Oklahoma
The U.S. Geological Survey reported a series of mild earthquakes in Oklahoma and Kansas over the last week. A total of 23 were reported in Oklahoma and five in Kansas over a seven day period, according to Tulsa World. Most of the quakes were smaller than 4.0 magnitude and caused no reported injuries or property damage. On Sunday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported three quakes in one day near Crescent, Oklahoma, located 136 miles south of Wichita. The largest was a 4.3 magnitude earthquake. According to KWCH, people reported feeling the mild quake in several southeast Kansas cities, including Wichita, Derby, Winfield, Andover and McPherson. No damage or injuries were reported.

Mars, Inc. opens new candy plant near Topeka
Mars, Inc. has opened a new $270 million manufacturing facility near Topeka to accommodate the public’s growing demand for M&Ms;, Snickers and other candy products. The plant will have the capability to make 14 million bite-sized Snickers bars or 6 million fun-sized bars, plus 39 million M&M;’s every day. The company looked at 80 sites in 17 states before selecting Topeka.
The candy company has contributed $200,000 to downtown redevelopment projects in the state capital, according to the Associated Press. The plant, which provides 200 new jobs to the area, is the first one Mars, Inc. has opened in North America in 35 years. Customers can buy Topeka-made products at the M&M; World at 713 S. Kansas Ave until April 13. Proceeds will go to the downtown project.