Foods with more sugar than a candy bar

0
129

With our society moving toward healthier food options and more exercise, some may not actually read the nutrition facts when choosing what to eat, instead opting to pick foods based on whether or not they appear healthier than others.

What some might not see, if not checking nutrition facts labels, is that many alternatives that are considered healthier actually have more sugar than their “less healthy” counterparts. Here is a list of a few “healthier” alternatives that have more sugar than “less healthy” foods.

1.) Odwalla Original Superfood Drink
This brand is known for having healthier alternatives, as well as offering multiple servings of fruit in each bottle. However, the beverage, which has a serving size of one 12 fl. oz. bottle, has 37 grams of sugar, which is more than a regular Snickers bar, which has 27 grams.

So, although Odwalla Original Superfood Drink is coming along with many vitamins and minerals, it is also being consumed with a large amount of sugar. Even though the sugar in the beverage is naturally found in the fruits, those natural sugars can counter the healthier aspects.

2.) Vitamin Water Power-C
Vitamin Water has been under fire over the past few years for containing more sugar than other flavored sports water options. Vitamin Water Power-C, specifically, has more sugar in it than a Snickers candy bar. As previously mentioned, a Snickers candy bar has 27 grams of sugar – Vitamin Water Power-C has 32. What was once considered an athlete-friendly beverage is now being considered unhealthy due to its high sugar content. This problem could be solved with a sugar substitute, but that could cause another whirlwind of artificial sweeteners.

3.) Yoplait Light Yogurt
Yogurt is thought to be the pinnacle of eating healthy. But Yoplait light yogurt actually contains as much or more sugar than an original glazed Krispy Kreme donut. Yoplait light yogurt contains 10 to 14 grams of sugar, where an original glazed Krispy Kreme donut only contains 10 grams of sugar.

Donuts are typically considered to be one of the first things to be removed from a dieter’s food choices when beginning to eat healthier. But, it is important to consider what is being substituted in place of that donut.

4.) Grande Starbucks Latte
That’s right, even Starbucks has made the list of food or beverages thought to have less sugar than unhealthy alternatives, but actually don’t. A grande Starbucks latte contains 17 grams of sugar, whereas an original glazed Krispy Kreme donut, again, only contains 10 grams.

Starbucks has seemingly been slipping through the cracks of having high amounts of sugar. One might want to check what they’re consuming before hitting the drive-through next time.

Just because these four items are listed here doesn’t mean other foods or beverages are in the clear.

Another example of a beverage with high amounts of sugar includes Mott’s original apple juice at 28 grams of sugar per 8 fl. oz. serving and a 12 oz. can of original Coca-Cola yielding 39 grams of sugar. Both are consumed, yet only one is thought to be unhealthy.

People need to be conscientious about what is being putting into their bodies. Though things might be labeled or perceived as healthy, they may have unhealthy consequences.

The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of The Collegian.

Jakki Forester is a junior in journalism and American ethnic studies. Please send comments to opinion@kstatecollegian.com