K-State, Manhattan area briefs for 4/4/14

0
225

Manhattan walk, fundraiser for multiple sclerosis
Registration is still available for the Walk MS event in Anneberg Park on Saturday. Manhattan is one of more than 600 cities participating in walks to raise awareness for multiple sclerosis, a disease of the central nervous system that can cause paralysis and blindness, among other symptoms. Registration begins at 9 a.m. and the walk begins at 10 a.m. For more information or to donate to the cause visit MSmidamerica.org

Education majors, future teachers asked to participate in national survey
A national organization is holding a survey to learn more about future educators’ opinions on using technology in the classroom. The results of Tomorrow’s Teachers Speak Up Online Survey will be shared with policymakers, researchers and the media and include information on mobile devices, digital textbooks, games and more as tools to teach students in the classroom. Participation is open to all undergraduate and graduate students in teacher preparation programs nationwide. The survey is available until May 16 at tomorrow.org/SU4HigherEd/

The Graduate School announces final doctoral dissertations
The final doctoral dissertation of Bryce Gerlach, “The Effects of Routine Exercise on Beef Cattle Health, Performance, and Carcass Quality; and the Effects of Extended Aging, Blade Tenderization, and Degree of Doneness on Beef Aroma Volatile Formation,” will be held today at 10:30 a.m. in Weber Hall room 111.

The final doctoral dissertation of
Chammi Attanayake, “Bioavailability of Contaminants in Urban Soils,” will be held April 7 at 11 a.m. in Throckmorton Hall room 2002.

The final doctoral dissertation of
Qian Wang, “Regulation of Sodium Transport Across Epithelia Derived from Human Mammary Gland,” will be held April 8 at 9 a.m. in the Mara Conference Center.

The final doctoral dissertation of
Joseph Holste, “Experimental Determination of Prestressing Wire Bond and Splitting Propensity Characteristics Through Tensioned Pullout Tests,” will be held April 8 at 10:30 a.m. in Fiedler Hall room 2116.

The final doctoral dissertation of
Kristen Kuhlman, “Research, Development, and Validation of a School Leader’s Resource Guide for Positive Supports for Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual, Transgender (LGBT) Students in School,” will be held April 10 at 10 a.m. in Bluemont Hall room 368.

The final doctoral dissertation of
Justin Henegar, “Home-schooling and Financial Literacy: A Qualitative Analysis,” will be held April 16 at 3 p.m. in Justin Hall room 167.