K-State falls to Kansas in second game of weekend series 6-3

0
37
Emily DeShazer | The Collegian Kansas junior first baseman Blair Beck leaps for an overthrown ball as K-State junior short stop Austin Fisher runs down the baseline to first base on Saturday afternoon at Tointon Family Stadium. Fisher reached on the error by Kansas junior short stop Justin Protacio.

On Friday evening in Tointon Family Stadium, the K-State Wildcats dominated the Jayhawks in every facet of the game, winning 10-0. On Saturday afternoon, it was a completely different story. The Jayhawks took 2-0 lead in the first inning and would never look back from their, winning 6-3.

Late offense

The Wildcats were simply unable to get the bats going to start the afternoon. The Jayhawks outhit the Wildcats 13-7 on the day.

“We didn’t cash in on any of the opportunities that we had early,” head coach Brad Hill said. “Leaving the bases loaded twice, that was really kind of it.”

Both K-State and Kansas stranded 11 runners on Saturday.

Streak snapped

The Wildcats had won 14-straight home games before Saturday. Dating back to their regional victory in last season’s post season, the Wildcats had not lost a game at Tointon Family Stadium. That Wildcats are now 11-1 at home this season.

Nearly 4,000 fans made it out to Tointon Family Stadium on Saturday. Sunday’s crowd is expected to reach similar numbers.

“I hope we are more excited in the first inning tomorrow with these crowds,” Hill said. “It’s great, we appreciate the fans coming out.”

Kivett Struggling

Last year’s Big 12 player of the year Ross Kivett had multiple opportunities on Saturday to get the Wildcats on the scoreboard, but fell short every time. The senior center fielder went 0-5 on the day including an error on a fly ball. After the game, he grabbed his bat and headed to the batting cages.

Rubber match

The rubber match between K-State and Kansas will be Sunday at 1 p.m at Tointon Family Stadium.

“We always say around here that championships are won on Sundays and tomorrow is a big game for us,” senior catcher Blair DeBord said following the game.