MaVorhis shuts out Kansas in game one of the Sunflower Showdown

0
115

K-State beat Kansas 10-0 in game one of the Sunflower Showdown at Tointon Family Stadium in Manhattan tonight, boosting their record to 18-11 overall and 2-2 in Big 12 play while the Jayhawks fall to 19-11 and 3-4 in conference play.

Big win

In the lengthy history of the Sunflower Showdown on the baseball diamond, the Wildcats have never had a larger shutout, and tonight’s 10-0 win was the biggest by K-State since April 11, 1969. However, head coach Brad Hill did not dwell on the big win, looking forward to the next two games in the series.

“It’s not big if we don’t come back and play well tomorrow,” Hill said. “It’s only big if we win the series.”

MaVorhis dominates

Sophomore starter Levi MaVorhis dazzled on the mound against the Jayhawks with a perfect game through five innings. The right-hander is not new to flirting with perfect games, tossing six perfect innings against Northern Colorado back on March 14 of this year.

MaVorhis pitched a nine-inning complete game shutout, giving up just three hits while walking two with four strikeouts. The outing put him at 4-3 this season and lowered his ERA to 2.75. His job was made all the easier by the offense, which put up five runs in the first inning for an early lead.

“Gotta love those guys,” MaVorhis said. “It’s always easier when you pitch with the lead. Obviously you don’t let up, but it’s just pound the zone, don’t have to be perfect every pitch.”

Long ball

K-State hit two home runs in the game, a three run shot from freshman designated hitter Tanner DeVinny in the first inning and a solo long ball in the fourth inning by Conlon. DeVinny’s homer was the first by a Wildcat freshman since current New York Mets’ minor leaguer and fifth round draft pick Jared King did it in 2011. For Conlon, it was the first round-tripper of 2014 after tying for the team lead with seven last season.