K-State, Manhattan area briefs for 4/7/14

0
158

New City Engineer announced for Manhattan
Brian D. Johnson has been promoted to City Engineer for the City of Manhattan, according to a press release on Friday. Johnson will fill the vacancy left by former City Engineer, Robert. K. Ott, who was promoted to Director of Public Works in February.
Johnson previously worked as the Principal Civil Engineer since October 2008. His new role as City Engineer will include planning, directing, managing and overseeing the operations, budget and personnel within the Engineering Department of Public Works. The Public Works Engineering Department tends to the city’s streets, storm drainage, traffic and more.

Sunset Zoo to celebrate Earth Day
Sunset Zoo will be celebrating Earth Day with “Party for the Planet,” a family-friendly event next Saturday, April 19, from noon to 4:30 p.m. Entertainment will include animal encounter activities, a rock climbing wall, magician performances and more. “Party for the Planet” activities are included with the normal cost of admission; admission is $4 for adults, $2 for children ages 3-12, and free for children under age 2. Friends of the Zoo members are free.

State sued for failing to protect toddler
A man is suing the State of Kansas after his two-year-old daughter died in a meth house in El Dorado, Kan. Stephen Watters claims the Kansas Department of Children and Families knew that his daughter, Jayla Haag, was being abused and did nothing to protect her. The toddler died while in the custody of her biological mother, Alyssa Haag, in 2012. Alyssa pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter for the death of her daughter.
According to KAKE, a doctor said Haag suffered bleeding of the brain, bruises and missing teeth and had tested positive for amphetamines and methamphetamine just days before she died.

Clinic provides 1,200 abortions since reopening
A Wichita abortion clinic reported that it has provided more than 1,200 abortions since reopening last year. South Wind Women’s Center reopened last year after being closed for four years. It had closed in 2009 after one of the abortion providers, George Tiller, was shot and killed while attending church. Tiller’s widow sold the clinic to an abortion rights group, which raised the money to have it reopened.
According to the Salina Journal, the clinic reported that it has served 1,500 patients from Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas for reproductive care, which is about the number of patients they had expected to see.