K-State, Manhattan area briefs for April 10

1
89

Construction to begin at two major Manhattan intersections
The City of Manhattan has announced a construction project to add new turning lanes and improve traffic flow to two major intersections beginning Monday. The construction will cause lane reductions and traffic delays until the projects are completed.

The intersection of McCall Road and Tuttle Creek Boulevard will be adding a second left-turn lane for westbound traffic. Shoulder work will be done to add a right-turn lane.

Another project involves the entrance to the Manhattan Town Center at U.S. Highway 24 and Poyntz Avenue. Construction will be adding new double-turn lanes for southbound to eastbound traffic and two right-turn lanes for northbound traffic.

These projects are being funded by the City of Manhattan and the Kansas Department of Transportation. Both projects are expected to be completed by Aug. 1.

FEMA to host disaster preparedness event for students
Students will have the opportunity to learn about disaster preparedness at a free event next week. The ReadyCampus event will teach students about local, state and federal programs and resources available during emergencies. The event will include a walk-through of a mock Point of Distribution that delivers food, medicine and other supplies to survivors of disasters. Information about volunteer opportunities will also be available.

The event will be held in Bosco Student Plaza on April 15 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. It is made possible through a partnership between the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency, K-State, the American Red Cross and the Kansas Division of Emergency Management.

Local animal shelter to host Easter egg hunt
The T. Russell Reitz Animal Shelter, 605 Levee Dr., will be hosting a Easter Egg Hunt this Saturday at 9:30 a.m. There will also be photo opportunities with the Easter Bunny. The event is geared for children under 5 years of age and is free, but donations are welcome. All proceeds from the event benefit the shelter and the animals it houses. For more information, contact the animal shelter at 785-587-2783.

Poetry on Poyntz to take place at art gallery
The Strecker-Nelson Gallery, 406 Poyntz Ave., will be hosting Poetry on Poyntz this Friday at 7 p.m. The event allows K-State students, faculty and alumni to share original poetry and short prose with listeners. The event is free and open to the public, but space is limited.