Women outrank men’s squad

0
50
Emily DeShazer | The Collegian Runners round the curve of the first lap of the race on January 25 in Ahearn Fieldhouse.

Last weekend, the K-State team split into three groups to compete in multiple meets in California. This weekend, they will come back together and head to Tucson, Ariz. The competition started on Thursday, however, the Wildcats will not begin competition until Saturday. Between both the men and women, K-State will have 36 athletes competing over the weekend.

This week, USTFCCCA released their first outdoor track and field team rankings. The Wildcat’s men squad came in at No. 44 while the women sit a little higher at No. 37.

On the men’s side, sophomore decathlete Reinis Kregers will be in action for K-State. Coming off of a second place finish last weekend at the Sam Adams Multi, Kregers was named Big 12 Outdoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week. Senior All-American Devin Dick is expected to make his outdoor debut in 110 meter hurdles, the long jump and the shot put. Another senior All-American, Carlos Rodriguez, will also be making his outdoor debut in the 200 meter dash.

For the women, sophomore thrower Sara Savatovic highlights the No. 37 ranked Wildcats. This will be the second time this season that Savatovic has thrown outdoor. In her first hammer throw of the outdoor season, she set a career high toss. She is the reigning Big 12 champion in the hammer throw.

The competition this weekend will take place at Roy P. Drachman Stadium in Tucson. Other schools in the field include Arizona, Air Force, New Mexico and Washington State.