Stumbling Wildcats head to Lincoln to face Nebraska

0
94
Emily DeShazer | Collegian Sophomore pitcher Levi MaVorhis winds up before he throws a pitch on Friday at Tointon Family Stadium in the game against Kansas.

Following a disappointing weekend in Lubbock, Texas where they suffered a sweep at the hands of Texas Tech, K-State is headed north to take on Nebraska (23-14, 7-2 Big 10) tonight.

The Wildcats (20-16, 2-7 Big 12) were outscored 22-14 over the weekend, while struggling on offense, defense and on the mound in an overall forgettable series in which they relinquished an early lead in each of the first two games.

K-State’s offense has led the way for the team this season, with a cumulative .296 average that is best among Big 12 squads – thanks especially to the emergence of Tanner DeVinny as one of the best hitters on not just the team but in the conference.

The freshman designated hitter carries a .341 batting average, which leads the Wildcats and ranks ninth among Big 12 hitters, his .451 on-base percentage is fifth in the conference and first on the team, while he is tenth in slugging percentage in the Big 12 at .495. The Lucas, Texas product also has 29 RBI this season, which leads the team and is fifth in the conference.

Nebraska’s offense is also batting .296 this season, but their .364 on-base percentage is lower than K-State’s .400 mark, and their .379 slugging percentage is topped by the Wildcats at .383.

The Huskers have been paced offensively by Ben Miller, who is hitting .338 and slugging .471, and Jake Placzek, who carries a .310 average and and has a .406 on-base percentage.

First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m. at Haymarket Park. K-State will return to Manhattan this weekend for a three-game series against Big 12 foe Baylor.