Local crime briefs

0
84

Child pornography charge in Junction City
A Junction City man faces up to 10 years in federal prison after he pleaded guilty to accessing child pornography online. Scott Deppish, 43, entered his plea in federal court Monday. On Feb. 12, 2013, police carried out a search warrant and obtained Deppish’s desktop computer as well as two hard drives. Police discovered images of children engaged in sexual acts on the hardware. Sentencing for Deppish is set for July 7. In addition to jail time, he faces a possible fine of up to $250,000.

Felony theft investigation underway
The Riley County Police Department is looking for the person who stole more than $3,300 in camera equipment from a Manhattan woman’s vehicle last Thursday. The victim reported a digital camera, camera bag and two lenses stolen in the 2600 block of Buttonwood Drive sometime in the afternoon. The case is still under investigation. Police ask anyone with information to contact them or the Manhattan Riley County Crime Stoppers at 785-539-7777.

Report of sexual battery, sodomy filed
Riley County police are investigating a report of sexual battery and sodomy that occurred in Februrary. The identity of the victim has been withheld at this time. Police filed the report on Friday and are continuing to investigate the incident.

Man reports stolen ladder
A Wamego man reported someone had stolen a $500 ladder near the intersection of North Juliette and Moro Street on Friday. Jerrod Warren, 35, said a 15-foot extendible ladder was stolen from the location. Police are currently investigating the case.

Bounced checks offenses lead to $9,000 bond
A St. George, Kan. man was arrested at the Riley County Jail in the early morning hours of Friday. Thomas Burdick, 49, was held on three warrants to revoke probation. The original offenses linked to Burdick were for writing bounced checks and escaping custody. Bond was set at $9,000.

Vehicle collision sends Wamego woman to Mercy
RCPD responded to a vehicle collision near the intersection of Fifth Street and Bluemont Avenue, in the afternoon of April 9. Caleb France, 20, of Manhattan travelled north on Fifth Street in a 2005 Ford truck when he collided with a Mitsubishi car driven by David White, 22, of Ogden. Police said White was stopped at the intersection when his car was rear-ended by France’s truck. Erin Saueressig, 21, of Wamego, was in the Mitsubishi and had to be transported to Mercy Regional for non-life threatening injury. France was issued a citation for following too closely behind another vehicle.