K-State, Manhattan area briefs for April 18

0
143

AG has record breaking year for returning money to Kansas citizens
The Attorney General has announced that its Consumer Protection Division returned a record amount of money to Kansas consumers and taxpayers in 2013. There was $49.6 million in savings and recoveries last year. This amount breaks the previous record set in 2012 of $49.3 million.

“Our office has worked diligently to return money to consumers when they have been wronged by a scam artist or deceptive business,” said Attorney General Derek Schmidt in an April 10 press release. “These numbers reflect the commitment of our dedicated team of attorneys, investigators and support staff who work hard every day to protect Kansas consumers throughout our state.”

Last year also marked the launch of their website InYourCornerKansas.org, which provides information on identity theft and makes filing complaints easier.

Volunteers needed for Earth Day state park cleanup event
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has announced that Tuttle Creek State Park will be one of five Kansas state parks participating in Keep It Clean Kansas. The other five parks participating this year are Scott State Park in Scott City, Cheney State Park in Cheney, Clinton State Park in Lawrence and Crawford State Park in Farlington.

Volunteers are still needed for the cleanup event, which will be held April 26 from 8 a.m. to noon in honor of Earth Day. All volunteers will get a free T-shirt and lunch for their service. For more information or to register as a volunteer, go to kdheks.gov/waste/earthday.html.

FHMPO seeks public opinion on budget amendment
The Flint Hills Metropolitan Planning Organization has released Amendment No. 1 of their Unified Planning Work Program for 2014. The Unified Planning Work Program details the organization’s budget allocated by federal grant money and a list of planned activities to be completed by the end of the year. The amendment is available for the public to review and comment on until April 28. Copies can be found at Manhattan Public Library, Manhattan City Hall, Riley County Clerk’s Office or online at flinthillsmpo.wix.com/fhmpo?q=fhmpo#!upwp/c1mv5.

The Graduate School announces final doctoral dissertations.
The final doctoral dissertation of
Faryad Darabi Sahneh, Spreading Process Over Mulitlayer and Interconnected Networks,” will be held May 2 at 2 p.m. in Rathbone Hall room 2064.

The final doctoral dissertation of
Alina De La Mota-Peynado, The Role of the Proteasome-Associated Protein Ecm29 in Quality Control of the Proteasome,” will be held May 14 at 2:30 p.m. in Ackert Hall room 324.