K-State, Manhattan area briefs for April 22

0
178

Mother of Trayvon Martin to give speech to students
Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity and the Student Governing Association are bringing a guest to K-State who aims to make students think about gun violence and how it impacts victims. Sybrina Fulton, mother of 17-year-old victim Trayvon Martin, will speak in the K-State Student Union Ballroom today at 7 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.

Fulton has been lecturing at college campuses across the nation since losing her son two years ago. Martin’s death sparked outrage across the country and divided many on the issues of gun rights and racial issues.

Future of Flint Hills to be discussed at public meeting
Flint Hills Regional Council will be holding a public meeting to discuss goals and future projects for the Flint Hills region. The counsel will be discussing Flint Hills Frontiers, a project that covers 19 counties in K-State and Oklahoma, focusing on preservation and economic vitality of the Flint Hills region and tallgrass ecosystem. The meeting will take place on Thursday at 6 p.m. at the Sunset Zoo. It is free and open to the public.

New law seeks to protect senior citizens from fraud
The Attorney General’s Office announced a new law signed by Gov. Sam Brownback last week that seeks to protect senior citizens of Kansas from fraud and financial abuse. Con artists who defraud an elderly person over the age of 70 will be charged with the crime of “mistreatment of an elderly person.” The crime carries stiffer punishments, including longer prison sentences of up to 40 years.

The Graduate School announces final doctoral dissertations
The final doctoral dissertation of
Mary Richmond, “How Personality Types are Related to Adolescent’s Choosing Not to Smoke
Cigarettes
,” will be held
April 25 at
9:30 a.m.
in
Justin Hall room 254.

The final doctoral dissertation of
Irakli Chakaberia,
Study of the Helicity Distributions of Production at the CMS Experiment,” will be held April 28 at 2:30 p.m.
in
Cardwell Hall room 42.

The the final doctoral dissertation of
Xiuqin Bai,
Robust Mixtures of Regression Models,” will be held May 2 at 1 p.m. in Willard Hall room 115.

The final doctoral dissertation of
Yixin Chen, Statistical Inference for Varying Coefficient Models,” will be held May
5
at
noon in Dickens Hall room 109.