Sporting KC rout Impact, look to road meeting with Revolution

0
160
Parker Robb | The Collegian Sporting Kansas City forward Dom Dwyer heads the ball over San Jose defender Clarence Goodson to keep it inbounds in the second half of Sporting's 1-0 win March 22 at Sporting Park. Dwyer scored two goals in Sporting's 4-0 blasting of Montreal Impact Saturday, and leads the club with 4 goals in six MLS matches this season.

The confetti cannons in Kansas City, Kan. Sporting Park had to be reloaded several times Saturday, and that meant only one thing: Sporting Kansas City were scoring goals. A lot of them.

Sporting KC tallied three goals in the final 45 minutes to cruise past the Montreal Impact 4-0 in front of 20,306 fans who marked Sporting Park’s 40th-straight sellout.

“I thought the second half was the best half we’ve played this year on both sides of the ball,” Sporting KC manager Peter Vermes said following the match. “We deserved four goals based on the fact that we’ve been in and around the box in games, we just haven’t been clinical. We haven’t finished off our runs and tonight we did that and it proves when you do that, you score goals.”

Forward Dom Dwyer led the scoring barrage with two goals in the final 16 minutes of the match. The Englishman’s first came in the 74th minute off an assist by fellow forward Jacob Peterson, and an excellent dummy run by defender Aurelien Collin to free up Dwyer in front of goal for the easy swipe.

Dwyer’s second of the evening came just 12 minutes later. This time, the 23-year-old used his head to pound the ball past Impact goalkeeper Troy Perkins after receiving a spot-on cross from forward Graham Zusi. The brace was Dwyer’s fourth goal in as many matches.

“Obviously it was some performance tonight,” Dwyer said. “We are pleased with the clean sheet and a lot more goals than two weeks ago. It was a good result for us and obviously we are pleased. It gives us some momentum going into New England next week. We are feeling good right now and had fun tonight.”

Montreal were forced to play catch up 31 minutes in when a long throw-in from Sporting KC defender Matt Besler resulted in an own goal. The fluke score was originally awarded to Collin, but was reversed minutes later to an Impact own goal.

Collin would find justice on the attack 40 minutes later, though, when a loose ball inside the box landed at his left foot. Without hesitation, the defender curled in what proved to be the goal that set off the big second half.

At the end of the game, all I want is to win,” Collin said after being asked if he was upset that he didn’t get credit for the opening goal. “I do a part (on the attack), but it’s not a big part. I scored another one to make things clear so that was good.”

With the victory, Sporting KC improves to 3-1-2 and are now tied with the Columbus Crew for first place in the MLS Eastern Conference. The club will now look to a weekend road trip to Foxborough, Mass. to face a struggling New England Revolution side.

The Revolution currently sit fifth in the Eastern Conference standings with a 2-3-2 record. New England escaped with a draw this past weekend on the road against the Chicago Fire after goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth stopped a 91st-minute Fire penalty kick and rebound attempt.