Wildcats regroup to take on Drake Relays

0
27

After a weekend where the track and field team saw six gold medals in various competitions throughout California and Kansas, the Wildcats regrouped into one team again and traveled to Des Moines, Iowa on Wednesday to compete in the Drake Relays over the weekend.

In the third week of rankings published by the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association, both the men’s and women’s team fell in the outdoor rankings.

In the national rankings, the men’s team fell eight spots to come in as the 50th ranked team in the nation. On the women’s side, they fell five spots to come in ranked 33rd.

The women also fell one spot in the Midwest regional rankings, coming in ranked third out of the 34 teams in the region. The men remained unchanged in regional rankings, staying at sixth in the 32-team Midwest region.

Among the athletes with high expectations entering the Drake Relays will be senior sprinter Carlos Rodriguez. Rodriguez has captured gold medals in every meet of his outdoor season except the Stanford Invitational so far this season.

Rodriguez has also ran into the record book on multiple occasions, including etching top three marks in the K-State record book in the 100- and 200-meter races two-weeks ago at the Jim Click Shootout.

On the women’s side of the competition, the Wildcats are looking for strong performances by their top-five competitors, sophomore thrower Sara Savatovic and red-shirt high jumper Alyx Treasure.

Savatovic, the defending Big 12 champion in the hammer throw and the fifth ranked competitor in the nation, is coming into the meet with a second place finish in her last meet.

Treasure, who is ranked third in the nation in the high jump, is looking to improve after etching a 5-foot-8.75 inch jump in the Mount SAC Relays, her worst mark of her outdoor career with the Wildcats.

The only K-State athlete that saw action on Wednesday was senior heptathlete Erica Twiss. Twiss completed the first half of the events in the heptathlon Wednesday, taking first in the 100 meter hurdle event and second in the 200 meter dash.

The Drake Relays will continue through the weekend, coming to conclusion with the men’s and women’s 4×400 relays on Saturday.