K-State, Manhattan area briefs for April 28

7
320

Fort Riley Commissary cautions consumers about metal flecks in ground beef
The Fort Riley Public Affairs office issued a press release on Saturday cautioning patrons of the Commissary to beware of possible metal flecks in ground beef. Employees discovered metal flecks inside of the grinder when it was disassembled for cleaning. Only the 80-percent lean ground beef product with a packed-on date of April 25 was affected. It is believed that between 5-20 pounds of the affected beef was purchased before employees discovered the problem and pulled the remaining beef from the shelf.

Officials ask Commissary customers to check their beef to see if it is from the batch that may be affected. Beef can be returned to the Commissary for a refund. The grinder has since been repaired and thoroughly inspected to ensure beef is no longer affected by metal flecks.

The Fort Riley Department of Public Health stated that if any of the beef was accidentally consumed, it would likely pass through the body without harm. However, if consumers believe they have consumed the affected beef and experience symptoms, such as pain, they should seek immediate medical attention.

K-State Grand Chorus to perform in Kansas City
The K-State Grand Chorus will be holding a performance called “Rhapsody!” at the Kauffman Center for Performing Arts in Kansas City, Mo. this Saturday at 8 p.m. The concert will feature Johannes Brahms’ “Ein Deutsches Requiem” as well as a solo performance by K-State alumna Jan Kraybill. Tickets range from $30-$120 and proceeds will go to scholarships and other benefits for the Department of Music, Theatre and Dance. Tickets can be purchased for 40 percent off at kstatechoirs.com/rhapsody-kauffman-center.html.

Quiz Bowl fundraiser to benefit local organizations
There will be a quiz bowl featuring history and trivia of northern Riley County at Nelson’s Landing in Leonardville, Kan. on Saturday, June 7 beginning at 11:30 a.m. Registration is $5 for individuals or $25 for teams. Proceeds of the quiz bowl go to benefit Kleio Historical Society, Arts and Memories Museum, Leonardville Pride and Randolph Pride. Active duty military and veterans play for free. For more information or to register go to artsandmemories.wordpress.com/quiz-bowl-information.

The Graduate School announces final doctoral dissertations
The final doctoral dissertation of Shu Dai, Properties of Biologically Relevant Solution Mixtures by Theory and Simulation,” will be held May 1 at 10 a.m. in the Chemistry/Biochemistry Building, room 437.

The final doctoral dissertation of Terrell McCarty,Planning and Developing Advisory Programs for the Personalization of Education: A Handbook to Guide School Leaders of Large High Schools in Kansas, will be held May 6 at 11:30 a.m. in Bluemont Hall, room 368.

The final doctoral dissertation of Chun YuRobust Mixture Modeling, will be held May 9 at 3:30 p.m. in Waters Hall, room 350.