K-State, Manhattan area briefs for May 2

0
150

Two slain officers to be honored at Kansas Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Day
The 32nd annual Kansas Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Day ceremony will start today at noon in the Statehouse. Gov. Sam Brownback will add the names of two law enforcement officers from Kansas history to the memorial, who were killed in the line of duty to honor their sacrifice.

The law enforcement being honored are Officer Samuel B. McLemore of the Fort Scott Police Department, who was shot and killed as he tried to arrest two suspected train robbers on Jan. 23, 1892, and Motorcycle Patrolman James M. Karr, Jr., who was shot and killed while in pursuit of a speeding car on July 10, 1916.

The memorial currently contains the names of 271 Kansas law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty. Brownback ordered flags to be flown at half-staff today in remembrance of their service.

New Party Pit to give Country Stampeders close access to performers
This year’s Kicker Country Stampede event is featuring tickets that offer closer access to favorite performers onstage. The Party Pit is a standing-room-only section of the audience located right by the stage. Tickets for the Party Pit are very limited and sold per artist instead of per day to allow concert-goers to choose which artists they would like to see up close. Admission tickets are required to purchase a Party Pit ticket.

The music festival runs from June 27-29. Performers this year include Luke Bryan, Eric Church, Randy Houser, Easton Corbin and more. For more information on tickets visit countrystampede.com.

Local filmmaker to screen new movie at MAC
The Manhattan Arts Center will be showing a special screening of the 2014 independent film “Wichita” on May 10 at 8 p.m. “Wichita” is about the secrets and conflicts between a drifter, a fugitive, a bounty hunter and other characters who collide in the small cow town of Wichita in 1882. After the screening, audience members will have a chance to meet writer and director Nicholas Barton, K-State alumnus, as well as other members of the cast and crew. Tickets are $10. For more information or to purchase tickets contact the Manhattan Arts Center, 1520 Poyntz Ave., at 785-537-4420.

Though the film is not yet rated, it is not recommended for children due to violence, adult content and brief nudity.

The Graduate School announces final doctoral dissertations.
The final doctoral dissertation of
Harshi Manawadu, titled,Design of a Nanoplatform for Pancreatic Cancer, will be held May 7 at 2 p.m. in the Chemistry/Biochemistry Building, room 209.

The final doctoral dissertation of Philip Omunga, titled, Assessing Plans that Support Urban Adaptation to Changing Climate and Extreme Events Across Spatial Scales,” will be held May 16 at 10 a.m. in Seaton Hall, room 106C.