Criminology club finds new life on campus

0
48

After its demise nearly two years ago, the K-State Criminology Club is back.

The club involves students of all majors who are interested in issues related to justice and crime. It was disbanded in late 2012 after the passing of the club’s faculty adviser, Roy Barnett, professor of sociology.

There was a great interest to revive the club, according to the new club president Raymond Greer III, sophomore in sociology. Greer said the club’s new academic adviser, Jeremy Briggs, instructor of sociology, anthropology and social work, was very supportive in restarting the group.

“We had to find the constitution from the previous group,” Greer said. “When we got everything started again, some of the older people on campus found out and wanted to help.”

Although the club’s first meeting was just two weeks ago, Greer said they already have about 12-15 people. The club is open to all students of all majors, according to Greer.

“Right now we’re in the process of trying to recruit more people,” Greer said. “We’re branching out to anyone with an interest in crime. We want to branch out to everybody.”

The club is holding a public meeting tonight at the Hale Library, room 301, from 7-9 p.m. Representatives from Riley County Police, Pottawatomie Sheriff’s Department, and the FBI will speak at the event.