Finals week by the numbers

0
101

3.4
The average number of hours per day the typical college student spends on “educational activities,” according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

6
The time of evening where brain functions best is from 6 p.m. until about 8 p.m., according to the Harris Health Sleep Disorders Centers. Studying during this time can be advantageous.

6
The minimum number of hours caffeine stays in your system after consumption, according to the Harris Health Sleep Disorders Centers. It can stay in your body for up to eight hours, which can make getting sleep once you’ve finally finished studying difficult.

8
The number of hours considered for a “good night sleep” according to the Sleep and Chronogiology Laboratory at the University of Pennsylvania.

14
The number of hours college students nationwide study, according to a 2012 study by the University of California. This amount decreased from 24 hours a week since 1961.

23
The percent of undergraduate classes at Harvard University that have finals as of 2010, according to the university.

24
The number of hours a day Hale Library and the K-State Student Union are open during finals week. Both close at 6 p.m. Friday, May 15 to start summer hours.

50
The ideal number of minutes you should study for before taking a short break (think 10 minutes or so), according to Study Guides and Strategies.

70
This to 100 minutes is the average length of the first NREM-REM sleep cycle. Later, cycles are between 90 and 120 minutes. Waking up in-between cycles rather than during them helps you wake up refreshed and alert.

90-436
The milligram range of caffeine in most coffee, from home brewed brands to the fast food variety.

7:30
Monday morning, the earliest final for students this spring. Congratulations to the students in Accounting for Investing and Financing, Dynamics and Public Speaking – you are the lucky ones.

“Adderall” and “studying”
Google searches for these words “skyrocket” around national fall and spring finals weeks, according to Google.