K-State, Manhattan area news for May 6

0
143

Miss Kansas to star in upcoming TV show
Kansas Army National Guard Sgt. Theresa Vail, senior in chemistry and 2013 Miss Kansas, will be hosting her own show on the Outdoor Channel called, “Limitless with Theresa Vail.” The show, slated to debut in July, will feature Vail’s love of hunting, the outdoors and various locations in her home state. The first episode was filmed on April 11 as Vail and her father, Mark Vail, participated in the Governor’s Turkey Hunt in El Dorado, Kansas.

Vail was a finalist in the 2014 Miss America Pageant.

Free movie on campus to ease Dead Week woes
Season Three of the K-State Computers and Technology Movie Series continues with a free screening of the 2013 film “The Fifth Estate” this Thursday at 7 p.m. in Nichols Hall room 126.

Based on a true story, “The Fifth Estate” stars Benedict Cumberbatch as Wikileaks founder Julian Assange as he teams up with Daniel Domscheit-Berg (played by Daniel Brühl) to leak covert data and expose corrupt government and corporate activities.

The K-State Computers and Technology Movie Series offers free movies to students and the general public about technology for the past three years. It is hosted by the Department of Computing and Information Sciences. Past films this semester have included the 2013 film “Gravity” and the 1999 made-for-TV movie “Pirates of Silicon Valley.” For more information on the movie series and upcoming films, visit their Facebook page at facebook.com/KSUCompTechMovies

The Graduate School announces final doctoral dissertations
The final doctoral dissertation of
Rachel Pigg, “A Multi-Scale Investigation of Movement Patterns Among Black-Tailed Prairie Dog Colonies,” will be held May 14 at 10 a.m. in Ackert Hall room 324.

The final doctoral dissertation of Bryce Gerlach, The Effects of Exercise on Beef Cattle Health, Performance, and Carcass Quality; and the Effects of Extended Aging, Blade Tenderization, and Degree Doneness on Beef Aroma Volatile Formation,” will be held May 15 at 11:30 a.m. in Weber Hall room 111.