K-State, Manhattan area briefs for May 8

1
238

City plans workshops, meetings to discuss future of community
The City of Manhattan is hosting several upcoming community workshops and meetings to discuss goals and ideas for the future of Manhattan. Two interactive workshops will be held next Wednesday from 6-8 p.m., at the Fire Station Headquarters, located at 2000 Dennison Ave., and at the Green Valley Community Center, located at 3770 Green Valley Road.

There will also be an abbreviated meeting next Thursday from 7:30-8:30 a.m. in City Hall’s City Commission Room, 1101 Poyntz Ave. All events are free and open to the public. For more information visit manhattanarea2035.com.

Kansas Concealed Carry permits recognized in 36 states
The Kansas Attorney General’s office announced on Wednesday that two more states have agreed to recognize Kansas concealed carry permits, bringing the total number of states up to 36. Washington and Virginia are the two most recent states to allow Kansas permits.

More states have started accepting concealed carry permits from Kansas after Kansas Legislature passed a law last year that allows out-of-state permits to be recognized in Kansas for permit holders who are traveling through the state temporarily. Many states have responded in kind since the law was passed. For a complete list of states that allow Kansas concealed carry permits visit ag.ks.gov.

Cadence to perform this Friday
The a cappella group Cadence will be performing their 2014 spring concert this Friday at 8 p.m. in the All Faiths Chapel. The group will perform a variety of songs, including doo-wop and movie tunes. Tickets are $5 and may be purchased at the door.

Armed Forces Metal Show
Blackstone Tavern, located at 1344 Westloop Place, is hosting a metal show to honor members of the U.S. Armed Forces. Terror Tractor, Haunting Skies and Screams of Kroenen will be among the performers on May 17 beginning at 9 p.m. There is no cover charge and the event is open to anyone 21 and over.

Leavenworth Inmate’s death under investigation
The FBI is investigating the death of a prison inmate as an apparent homicide. Jeremy Nemerov, 48, was found unresponsive in his housing unit at the U.S. Penitentiary in Leavenworth, Kansas on April 24 after being at the penitentiary for one day. Nemerov was transported to Saint Luke’s Hospital in Kansas City, Missouri, where he died on Monday.

According to the Leavenworth Times, an autopsy has not yet been conducted but his death is being investigated as a homicide.

Nemerov had been sentenced to 78 months in prison for conspiracy to process pseudoephedrine with intent to manufacture methamphetamine. He was expected to be released in December 2018.