McGuire’s ‘Providence’ sheds new light on supernatural genre

0
87

Vampires. Wizards. Dystopian futuristic societies. Between the Twilight series, Harry Potter phenomenon and Hunger Games hype, the fan base of this genre stretches across the world to all demographics.

Each of these movie hits, and the buzz surrounding them, began with a popular book series. Jamie McGuire brings potential for a new supernatural movie blockbuster with the “Providence” series, which could bring another dynamic to the already popular theme.

“Providence,” the first book in McGuire’s series, maintains a realistic approach with a setting at Brown University with a protagonist, Nina Grey, who is merely trying to maintain good grades and be strong in the wake of her father’s death. The story takes a quick turn when she learns she is in the middle of a battle between Heaven and Hell, which involves her late father and new love interest, Jared. Both men in her life are far from normal, and she quickly discovers that Jared knows more about her than she does herself.

Grey provides a first person narration similar to Katniss Everdeen in the Hunger Games and Bella Swan in the Twilight series. As she is constantly learning the truth about the world around her, the reader is too, which leads to plot twists every few pages that frequently leave the reader guessing.

This series could easily be turned into a movie adaptation, adding to the supernatural blockbusters that continue to bring excitement to theaters. One element this series has for a movie, much like Twilight, the Hunger Games and Harry Potter, is an attractive lead male character, Jared. The Hunger Games has girls swooning over Liam Hemsworth and Josh Hutcherson, while Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner star in the Twilight series. With a main character that is literally angelic, “Providence” has the potential for the same attraction.

“Providence” is a battle between angels and demons. While fans won’t have a battle of which side to choose like in Twilight with werewolves versus vampires, readers do have the chance to disagree over which love interest Nina should be with, very similar to the Hunger Games. Should it be Ryan, the best friend – much like Gale was to Katniss? Or should it be Jared, the new person in Nina’s life – much like Peeta?

While romance is a vital part of the story, the plot still offers something for male and non-romantic readers. There are gunfights, explosions, and combat between angels and demons where the angels are greatly outnumbered.

The best part with McGuire is once you get hooked on the “Providence” series, you can browse her other novels. “Beautiful Disaster” even includes a sequel novel, “Beautiful Oblivion,” which was recently published on July 1.

The series is a definite summer read to get ahead of the hype that will incur if it becomes a movie. The supernatural genre has garnered popularity with vampires, werewolves, wizards and futuristic worlds — why not add angels and demons to the list?