Manhattan authorities investigating two fires as possible arson

0
214
Photo by Taylor Alderman | The Collegian 831 Colorado Streeet building was damaged in a fire on July 21st. After investigating, the Manhattan Fire Department suspects that the fire was caused from possible arson.

The Riley County Police Department and the Manhattan Fire Department are now investigating two recent fires that are suspected to be results of arson, according to a press release by officer Matthew Droge of the RCPD.

According to the release, “It was determined that there was a high probability that they (the fires) were set intentionally by an unknown subject(s).”

On July 21, Manhattan fire fighters responded to a structural fire at 831 Colorado Street. The fire damaged a residence and was put out by 17 firefighters.

The second fire occurred on July 23, also on Colorado Street. Fourteen firefighters responded to the fire, which was found to be on a detached garage of the residence, according to the release. The fire damaged a car as well.

Update: A previous version noted the wrong address in the caption. The correct address was 831 Colorado.

Shelton Burch
Shelton grew up in the desert southwest. A native of Lancaster, California, he mostly grew up in south Phoenix, Arizona; Austin, Texas; and Colorado Springs, Colorado before moving to Kansas and graduating from Junction City High School. He started working as a news writer for the Collegian in 2009 before taking a three-year break from college. He returned to K-State in 2013 and has since worked for the news desk, feature desk, as a copy editor and now as a sports writer. He enjoys tap dancing, writing anything possible, reading court opinions and watching Arizona Coyotes hockey.