Welcome back from Provost Mason

0
53

Welcome back returning students, and welcome to new students! Manhattan, Kansas is just not the same without you. There is much happening on campus over the summer, but the energy level is not where it usually is when all 25,000 of us are here together. I am glad you are here at Kansas State University.

What do we have to look forward to together this academic year? I hope you will take time to read Ghost Map, our 2014/15 academic year Kansas State Book Network choice. It is a great book that brings intrigue, science and social conventions into telling the true story of the cholera outbreak in London. At the University Leadership retreat held on August 12, the campus leadership, including SGA President and Vice President Reagan Keys and Cody Kennedy, discussed the K-State 2025 University Initiative — Global Food Systems. This initiative will involve students, staff and faculty, and we want student input into the implementation of the initiative.

A new school year means new learning, new people and new activities. My hope is that you will take advantage of the opportunities around you and that if you need anything related to your classes, your living situation, your finances, or your feelings in general, you will reach out to the many instructors, advisors, residence hall counselors, tutors, and the many other Kansas State University professionals who are here to help you be successful. College is a challenging adventure. You are not alone — we are here to help you. Good luck in 2014/15. We’re off to a great start.

April Mason, Ph.D. Provost and Senior Vice President