Evaluating alternatives help students set schedules, expand education

0
70

It’s a decision that can make or break your semester: what electives are the right fit for your schedule?

If you have gaps in your schedule or a few hours of elective credit to knock out, here are some great options to consider:

FDSCI 302, Intro to Food Science

Introduction to Food Science is designed to provide an overview of the food industry including the jobs in the field, the science of food production, and research that goes into creating new food products. Not only will this class teach you how to prepare and store food safely, you’ll get a glimpse into the processes involved in each and how to avoid food-borne illness.

“It’s a relevant class for everyone, since we all eat food, but some of us may not have much experience with cooking or preparing it,” Laurel Pierson, a recent graduate in animal science said.

THTRE 265, Fundamentals of Improvisation

Fundamentals of Improvisation will have you alert and participating every day. The course will teach you techniques for improvisational acting and help you grow in your ability to think on your feet. Keith Kennedy, graduate in public relations, said he enjoyed the creative aspects of the class. Improvised conversations happen regularly in the class, which Kennedy said he found very impactful.

“You never know what the other person is going to say, so the class taught you to actually listen to what a person is saying and respond,” he said.

FSHS 350, Family Relationships and Gender Roles

The course focuses on the effects of family interactions and how they impact individual development and gender roles. From pre-marital, marital, to parent-child relationships, Family Relationships and Gender Roles can help students learn the long-term impacts of these important relationships.

“The class helped me understand my family dynamics so well along with how others find meaning in their interactions with people,” Heidi Hurtig, recent graduate in marketing said.

GEOL 120, Age of Dinosaurs

This course brings dinosaurs to life. It discusses the biology and ecology of dinosaur species and reconstructs the physical world in which they lived. Theories of their origin, evolution and extinction will be discussed and students will leave with a greater understanding of Earth’s prehistoric inhabitants in context of the planet’s history. Kristen Burton, senior in elementary education said she enjoyed the unconventional content which made attending class fun.

“Learning about huge beasts of the past is way more exciting than erosion and climate change,” Burton said. “Plus, how many people can say they have studied dinosaurs at the collegiate level?”