Purple Power Play in the Park

0
139
Photo by Chandler Riley | The Collegian Aaron, 10, and Emily, 8, gaze at a yellow ball python at a booth during Purple Power Play in the Park on Aug. 28, 2013 in City Park.

With the football season’s first home game scheduled for Saturday, Manhattan City Park will be teeming with Wildcat fans today and Friday for the annual Purple Power Play in the Park.

According to the event’s website, Purple Power Play has become one of the largest events in Northeast Kansas, with approximately 20,000 people in attendance between the two days. Along with the 80 vendors registered for Purple Power Play, there will also be entertainment from K-State performances groups, like the Tap Dance Ensemble.

“Well, its one of our biggest audiences all year, mostly because it’s the entire Manhattan community and they are there to come and support K-State,” said Jamie Teixeira, senior in English and K-State tapper.

To the tappers, this year is not just the same old song and dance. After having added seven new members since last year, the ensemble team is performing at Purple Power Play with a larger group.

“We have a much bigger team,” Teixeira said. “Last year, we had about 13 tappers and this year we have 20.”

With its growing popularity, the coordinators of Purple Power Play have kept up to keep the event engaging. Willie the Wildcat is available both evenings for pictures until 7 p.m., and K-State fans have a chance to show their school spirit during the pep rally that begins at 8:05 p.m. each evening. A fireworks display at sundown is scheduled for Friday to bring Purple Power Play to a close.

“Hopefully, as the event goes on each year, more and more people come from all over Manhattan to support Kansas State University and all the clubs and activities,” Teixeira said.

For a full event schedule visit purplepowerplay.com/events.html.

Dance teams performing:

•K-State Tap Dance Ensemble

•Bates Dance Studio

•Washington Dance Studio

Musical groups performing:

•Rusty Rierson & Band

•MHS Pop Choir

•Annie Up

Emily Moore
My name is Emily Moore and I'm a senior majoring in English and mass communications with a minor in leadership. I love to read, write and edit. During my free time, I enjoy doing crossword puzzles, rock climbing and spending time with my friends.