Union Expo and Activities Carnival showcase

0
183
Photo by Mauricio Caldera | The Collegian Representatives of K-State clubs and organizations talk to students at the Union Ballroom on August 28th. Altogether there were over 400 K-State clubs and organizations in all three floors of The Union.

Thursday night, the K-State Student Union was host to approximately 220 student organizations for the Union Expo and Activities Carnival. Even with maps to assist in navigating the maze of booths and displays, there’s a chance that some groups could have been overlooked by passersby.

Here are a few organizations that students might have missed:

Pinky Promise KSU

Located at table 180 near Caribou Coffee, Pinky Promise KSU’s table was filled with white and pink.

Sarah Hall, senior in life sciences with pre-occupational therapy, said this is the Christian based, women-only group’s first semester on campus as a chapter. Its mission is to raise awareness against dysfunctional relationships through functions open to both men and women. Hall said the group has an open-door policy for anyone who, “wants to get to know the Lord.”

Mock Trial Club

Located next to Pinky Promise at table 181, was the Mock Trial Club. Hale Weirick, senior in economics, said the group placed in the top 25 in the nation in 2013 after competing in the national championships.

“Last year was our first year to go to nationals, we went to nationals in Orlando, Florida,” said Arielle Monroe, senior in communication studies and president of the club. “We are the best competition team in Kansas, literally.”

Monroe said the group is open to anyone, and is particularly good for those interested in acting or in law.

Project Universe

A new organization on campus, Project Universe was located at a table outside the Union Ballroom on the second floor.

“Each year we pick different organizations that are already established and we do educational fundraising,” Morgan Breen, junior in life sciences, said. “We donate the money to (the chosen organizations) at the end of the semester.”

K-State Canterbury

Located within the Union Ballroom was The K-State Canterbury Club. The group is campus-ministry affiliated with the episcopal church, and operates out of St. Francis Canterbury House (1823 Laramie St.), said Olivia Divish, senior in hotel and restaurant management.

The group serves a free community breakfast on Tuesday mornings at Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church (601 Poyntz Ave.), in addition to services on Sunday at the church.

On The Spot Improve club

Located along the wall opposite the entrance was the On The Spot Improv troupe.

“Not only do we provide a unique form of entrainment by making it up and trying to make it up, we’re like the only ones on campus doing it,” Michael Lee, junior in animal sciences, said.

Lee said the art of what the club does in on-the-spot improvisation. A “show” consists of when the club asks the audience for a topic suggestion, then they make it up on the spot. Shows are every Thursday night in Salsarita’s.

Pipe Band

Ian Ferguson, freshman in political science, said he decided eight years ago to play the bagpipes, which led to the start of K-State’s Pipe Band.

“I thought, ‘What would be cooler than having a pipe band at K-State?'” Ferguson said. “I was offered to scholarships at other universities across the nation, and I turned them down because not only were they too expensive, but I love K-State too much.”

Ferguson said he hopes to expand the group, and is currently seeking drummers to play the snare drum, the bass drum and the tenor drum.

Shelton grew up in the desert southwest. A native of Lancaster, California, he mostly grew up in south Phoenix, Arizona; Austin, Texas; and Colorado Springs, Colorado before moving to Kansas and graduating from Junction City High School. He started working as a news writer for the Collegian in 2009 before taking a three-year break from college. He returned to K-State in 2013 and has since worked for the news desk, feature desk, as a copy editor and now as a sports writer. He enjoys tap dancing, writing anything possible, reading court opinions and watching Arizona Coyotes hockey.