Big 12 Power Rankings: one week down

0
45
Photo by Jed Barker | The Collegian K-State running back John Hubert tries to avoid Baylor safety Terrell Burt at Bill Snyder Family Stadium on October 12, 2013.

1) No. 10 Baylor (1-0)

Week 1: 45-0 win vs. SMU

The Bears pulled out the most convincing victory over an FBS program this past weekend. They steamrolled SMU on offense while debuting their brand new, $240 million McLane Stadium.

Bryce Petty, Baylor’s Heisman-caliber quarterback, went 13 for 23 for 161 yards and threw two touchdown passes. The senior limped for a majority of the second quarter with two cracked vertebrates in his spine, but battling through the injury shows why Petty is in discussion for a trip to New York City in December.

The defense, an area that was of concern for the Bears, gave head coach Art Briles and staff little reason to worry moving forward. The Bears’ defense allowed only 67 total yards, including a staggering -24 rushing yards.

2) No. 4 Oklahoma (1-0)

Week 1: 48-16 win vs. Louisiana Tech

Head coach Bob Stoops and his Sooners gave little room for doubt against the Bulldogs. While sophomore quarterback Trevor Knight didn’t have shocking numbers in his debut as OU’s starting signal caller, Knight and the running back group torched the Louisiana Tech defense for 183 rushing yards and five rushing touchdowns, propelling the Sooners to the lopsided victory.

The question for the Sooners coming into the game was who was going to take over in the backfield for the departed duo of Brennan Clay and Damien Williams. However, freshman Samaje Perine and sophomore Keith Ford combined for 128 yards and three touchdowns.

3) Texas (1-0)

Week 1: 38-7 win vs. North Texas

Charlie Strong’s debut in Austin could not have gone better. His defense struck fear in the eyes of the Mean Green. By the start of the fourth quarter, the Mean Green could only muster 34 yards. The defense forced four interceptions against Dan McCarney’s squad from Denton, Texas. If it wasn’t for junior quarterback David Ash fumbling the ball in the end zone, the Longhorns would have registered a shutout to start the season.

4) No. 20 K-State (1-0)

Week 1: 55-16 vs. Stephen F. Austin

Head coach Bill Snyder’s offensive attack chipped away against the Lumberjacks and shined with its rushing attack. With 240 rushing yards and 238 passing yards, the offense also maintained the balance that Snyder hoped for.

The defense, however, seemed to struggle at times, allowing several big plays to delayed runs and quarterback scrambles up the middle. If the Wildcat defense is to stop Iowa State on Saturday, the defense will have to step up to the plate and take away the big plays.

5) Oklahoma State (0-1)

Week 1: 37-31 loss vs. No. 1 Florida State

To the surprise of many, the Cowboys nearly knocked off the reigning national champions and Heisman winner Jameis Winston in their season opener. A fumble with less then five minutes remaining killed any momentum that the Cowboys had and led to the loss. The defense showed that if it got teams to a third down, it could hold off most onslaughts, allowing the Seminoles to go four for 14 on third downs.

A loss puts a sour taste in any team’s mouth, but taking it to the wire with the No. 1 team in the nation could lead to a renewed sense of confidence for the Cowboys for the rest of the season.

6) West Virginia (0-1)

Week 1: 33-23 loss vs. No. 2 Alabama

The Mountaineers, who are coming off a 4-8 season, proved that they could compete against anyone as they almost knocked off an extremely talented Alabama team.

The Mountaineers’ senior quarterback Clint Trickett proved his accuracy as he had his way against the Tide, completing 29 of 45 passes for 365 yards and a touchdown. If it weren’t for his receivers having issues reeling the passes in, Trickett would’ve impressed even more and would’ve had a shot to beat the Tide.

7) TCU (1-0)

Week 1: 48-14 win vs. Samford

Quarterback Trevone Boykin had one of the best games of his career. The junior signal-caller threw for 320 yards and two touchdowns in just over a half of play. Boykin made the most of his playing opportunity after being re-named the starter for the 2013-14 season.

That being said, Samford isn’t remotely close to the competition of the Crimson Tide or Seminoles. The Horned Frogs still have plenty to prove before being moved up in the rankings.

8) Texas Tech (1-0)

Week 1: 42-35 win vs. Central Arkansas

While the Red Raiders were able to win their season opener, it was far from pretty. The Red Raiders defense allowed 506 total yards to an FCS opponent. Yikes.

9) Iowa State (0-1)

Week 1: 34-14 loss vs. North Dakota State

Being the only team in the conference to lose against an FCS school in the opening week, the Cyclones earned their spot at No. 9. Losing to the Bison wouldn’t have been a horrible thing for the Cyclones but because the loss came in such lopsided fashion, it’s hard to argue their Week 1 power rankings placement.

10) Kansas (0-0)

Week 1: bye, open vs. Southeast Missouri State on Sept. 6