Tips to making friends in college

0
91
Photo by Taylor Alderman | The Collegian Lane Evans, freshman in computer science, talking to Cody Conklin, freshman in software engineering, in the Union on Tuesday evening. Evans and Conklin met in class and were waiting for a meeting to start.

College can be a scary and overwhelming place the first couple of months. As such, it is important to connect with a group of supportive friends to help you through the difficult transition. The following are some easy ways to make finding friends at K-State worthwhile.

Attend events around campus and community

K-State has an extremely active student community. There is always something going on. An easy way to meet new people is to participate in some events. The Union Program Council hosts different activities every Friday in the K-State Student Union, like Build-Your-Own-Bear, cookie decorating and ladies night to name a few. It’s a great, fun way to meet new people.

Join a club or intramural team

K-State has over 385 organizations and 20 club sports. Clubs vary from college organizations, community service groups, departmental clubs, multicultural groups and hundreds more. Joining a group is a great way to surround yourself with people who are passionate about the same things that you are, which makes it easier to make friends.

“It helped me make friends with people I might not have had the chance to meet otherwise,” said Katie Boreas, junior in animal sciences and founder of the Wildcats Serving Others club. “We got to meet a wide variety of people who wanted to do more for the community, which resulted in having many new friends. It was really easy to talk to them, because we were all working towards the same cause.”

Invite classmates out for meals

You know that girl you always work with in biology lab, but you don’t know much about her? Ask her if she wants to grab lunch. It’s a low-key way to get to know someone that you already have something in common with.

Andrew Tenholder, freshman in golf course management, said he talked to his horticulture class partner for the entire class and had a great conversation, so they made plans to hang out over the weekend.

Pay attention during ice breakers in class

The best way to find people interested in the same things as you is to pay attention to the introductions and ice breakers that happen during the first weeks of classes. When you hear another student mention something you enjoy, don’t be afraid to strike up a conversation with them. Striking up a conversation that shows interest in the lives of others is the easiest way of meeting people and making friends. You’ll have something in common and the friendship can grow from there.

Live on campus freshman year

Living in the residence halls is probably the easiest way to make friends. Most who live there are new to K-State and are seeking friends as well.

“Just go out into the lobby and talk to people,” said Lyndsey Saunders, freshman in history and secondary education. “I met a bunch of people by just saying hi to everyone, and we all ended up going to dinner together.”

Some residence hall floors dedicate one night a week to a group dinner with hall-mates as a way to foster friendships. Doing homework in the lobby is another way to interact with residence hall tenants.

Once you have made friends from your floor, you can branch out to others by attending Hall Governing Board meetings and attending hall-wide events.

Coming to college and getting used to the environment is hard, but it doesn’t always have to be. Use these tips to start making friends and begin enjoying your college years.

Tiffany Addams is a junior in English. Please send comments to edge@kstatecollegian.com.