Power Rankings: top 5 offensive players

0
39
Photo by Parker Robb | The Collegian Oklahoma quarterback Trevor Knight stiff-arms junior defensive back Randall Evans as he rushes for a first down during the first quarter of the Wildcats' 41-31 loss to the Sooners on senior day Saturday.

No. 1: Baylor QB Bryce Petty (Last week: 1)

Bryce Petty’s performance in the Bears’ season-opening win over SMU was worthy of praise. What made it a showcase for Baylor’s quarterback wasn’t necessarily the stats, even though 161 passing yards and two touchdowns isn’t a poor performance in one half of play.

Petty’s gutsy performance after fracturing two vertebrae during the Bears’ first series shows Petty’s ability to play through adversity. The play that most symbolized Petty’s toughness was a 5-yard touchdown scramble, in which Petty took a pretty hard hit and kept him on the playing field for a few moments.

No. 2: K-State QB Jake Waters (Last week: 4)

In his first game alone at the helm of the Wildcats offense, quarterback Jake Waters showed glimpses of how well he could throw the ball. He managed to fit some throws in some very tight places for completion.

Waters also managed to stave off any pressure. While keeping his mental clock on track in the face of limited pass rush, he cycled through all of his checks and found the open receivers throughout the game. To add to his opening performance, Waters also had two rushing touchdowns on 55 rushing yards.

No. 3: Oklahoma QB Trevor Knight (Last week: 5)

With the Sooners playing a more conservative game against an easily beatable opponent, quarterback Trevor Knight managed the game perfectly. He went 19 for 34 through the air, with 253 yards, one touchdown and interception apiece. Knight showed good confidence throughout the game.

As a sophomore, Knight showed the capability to move the chains for the Sooners. The team had 26 first downs including going four-for-four on fourth down attempts. While Knight still has a long road to become the best player in the Big 12, he had a solid start to his second season at the helm of the Sooners.

No. 4: K-State WR Tyler Lockett (Last week: 3)

In limited playing time, wide receiver Tyler Lockett caught one pass for the Wildcats. That one pass he managed to reel in was a 9-yard rocket in the end zone, which marked Lockett’s 19th career touchdown.

Lockett did manage to show a small glimpse of the talent he brings to the team, being one of the best options down the field K-State. Once he begins to play more significant time, his talent should shine.

No. 5: Baylor WR Antwan Goodley (Last week: 2)

Falling from the No. 2 player on the list, wide receiver Antwan Goodley was not a factor in the Bears blowout over SMU as he did not record any catches while only playing in a handful of drives. He was eventually pulled from the game.

According to multiple reports, Goodley aggravated a previous quadricep injury that limited his preparation in fall camp. He is definitely worthy of being in the top five on talent alone, but without knowing the severity of the injury, Goodley remains on the list.