Aggieville favorites around the clock

0
129
(Photo by Renee Dick | The Collegian) Grad student Adam Herbert grabs dinner while studying for classes. Fuzzy's Tacos offers a huge menu sure to fill any appetite.

Throughout Aggieville, there are countless options for hungry stomachs. With a multitude of restaurants packed into a small area, you’re never too far from something delicious. While each establishment offers up great choices, a few meals stand out above the rest.

Noon

In 2011, The Cozy Inn, a Salina staple since 1922, opened up shop in Aggieville. Though it’s not the place to go if you want to customize your meal, its onion-topped burger is second to none. The burgers only come one way, which Cozy calls, “with onion and attitude.” You can order in increments of one, six, 12 and up to a bag of 24 burgers.

Considering the burgers practically melt in your mouth, you might want to just assume you’ll need more than one.

3 p.m.

Chipotle raspberry bean dip may not initially seem like the best snack, but So Long Saloon and Taco Lucha, jointly run by the same management team, do it in a way that works. Unique to Aggieville, the onion-cream cheese base is mixed with a black bean and raspberry salsa, and topped with pepper jack cheese.

Stir it all together before dipping your tortilla chips in and your taste buds will thank you.

6 p.m.

If you’re looking for a top dinner spot, you can’t go wrong with a visit to Aggie Station. Their chef recommends the pork chop and after one bite, you’ll understand why. A perfect amount of seasoning and an insane amount of tenderness makes this superb. The mashed potatoes served on the side compliment it perfectly. It’s topped off with French-sliced apples, which add a nice lightness to the plate.

A fairly fresh face in Aggieville, Fuzzy’s Taco Shop serves up prime flavor on a college-student budget. Its tempura shrimp burrito is a delicious twist from a tradition chicken or beef burrito. There’s no worry of getting shortchanged on a visit to Fuzzy’s either. The size of their jumbo burritos isn’t an exaggeration – you will definitely leave full and happy.

11 p.m.

If you’re an early riser, Bluestem Bistro is always a good stop for coffee and baked goods. But it’s what the bistro does after dark that is really special: a waffle on a stick. Available through the bistro’s window from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m., the cooks took a breakfast staple and made it portable. Top off a fluffy waffle with cream cheese icing, strawberries and chocolate sauce. This may be more of a dessert than a breakfast food, but it’s definitely delicious.

AJ’s NY Pizzeria has several specialty pizzas, and you really can’t go wrong with any of them. However, the Pizza Bianco or “White Pie” is really something special. Topped with AJ’s specialty seasoned ricotta cheese, mozzarella and parmesan, this pizza is a cheese lover’s paradise. However, it’s the garlic basil olive oil sauce that brings it together.

2 a.m.

For the late-nighter, the Varsity food truck is a must. Tucked back in an alley behind Porter’s and Johnny Kaw’s, the truck’s best cure for a long night is a mac and cheese grilled cheese. You can get it with or without bacon, but that’s just a silly question. Bacon makes everything better. Whether you’ve had a late night out in Aggieville or just need a late-night snack, the mac and cheese grilled cheese combines two of the best comfort foods into one delicious treat.