Big 12 What to Watch For: Week 3

0
60
(Photo by Taylor Alderman | The Collegian) Iowa State wide receiver, Jarvis West runs down the field at Jack Trice Stadium on Sept. 6, 2014. The Wildcats defeated the Cyclones 32-38.

It’s a bye week for No. 19 K-State, as the 2-0 Wildcats prepare to welcome in Auburn next Thursday. But across the Big 12, teams are back in action for week three of the college football season.

No. 12 UCLA (2-0) vs. Texas (1-1) in Arlington, Saturday 7:15 p.m., FOX

(Line: UCLA -8)

The Charlie Strong era has been a roller coaster ride thus far in Austin.

After cruising to a 38-7 victory over North Texas in week one, the Longhorns were thumped by BYU for a second-straight season. Strong called the loss an “embarrassment,” not only for the program but for the university as well.

Texas will have to rebound and rebound quick, because the undefeated Bruins, led by junior quarterback Brett Hundley, are rolling into town — or close to it in Arlington, Texas at AT&T; Stadium.

Stopping Hundley is virtually impossible, but the Longhorn defense can slow him down enough to help their ailing offense put some points on the board.

Tennessee (2-0) at No. 4 Oklahoma (2-0), Saturday 7 p.m., ABC

(Line: Oklahoma -21)

The preseason Big 12 favorites are set for their first major test of the 2014 campaign.

The Sooners will welcome the Volunteers to Memorial Stadium Saturday in the second of two Big 12 vs. SEC matchups on the weekend.

Tennessee enters the contest 2-0 after wins against lesser-quality teams. Senior quarterback Justin Worley (520 yards, five touchdowns) will have to out-duel Oklahoma sophomore quarterback Trevor Knight (552 yards, three touchdowns) and work around an experienced Sooner defense if the Volunteers hope to leave Norman 3-0.

Arkansas (1-1, 0-1) at Texas Tech (2-0), Saturday 2:30 p.m., ABC

(Line: Texas Tech -1)

Undefeated and unsatisfied?

Texas Tech is 2-0 heading into week three, but a combined win total of just 11 points against Central Arkansas and UTEP has Red Raider fans worried for their team’s non-conference clash against the Razorbacks.

Arkansas has looked solid for six quarters this season. The only knock was a miserable second half against Auburn in week one. Don’t count out Kliff Kingsbury’s ability to help inject some life into the Red Raiders’ step.

Iowa State (0-2, 0-1) at Iowa (2-0), Saturday 2:30 p.m., ESPN

(Line: Iowa -11)

Coaches typically don’t believe in moral victories, but even Paul Rhoads can’t deny the positive takeaway from Iowa State’s 32-28 loss to K-State last weekend.

The Cyclones looked like a rejuvenated team compared to the one that lost 34-14 against FCS powerhouse North Dakota State at home to open up the season. Senior wide receiver Jarvis West is shaping up to be the player who will fill the shoes of Quenton Bundrage and junior quarterback Sam Richardson finally appears settled to lead his team under Mark Mangino’s system.

Iowa is coming off close calls against Northern Iowa and Ball State. The Hawkeyes will need to find a weapon to complement senior wide receiver Kevonte Martin-Manley if they hope to keep their record unblemished Saturday.

Two-minute drill: Other Big 12 games:

Kansas (1-0) at Duke (2-0), Saturday 2:30 p.m.

(Line: Duke -14)

Two traditional basketball powerhouses go head-to-head on the gridiron Saturday in a battle of unbeatens.

West Virginia Mountaineers (1-1) at Maryland Terrapins (2-0), Saturday 11 a.m.

(Line: Maryland -4)

West Virginia senior quarterback Clint Trickett looks to continue his hot start on the road against the Terrapins.

Minnesota (2-0) at TCU (1-0), Saturday 3 p.m. FOX Sports 1

(Line: TCU -16)

The Horned Frogs hope to put their bye week to good use against the Golden Gophers at home.

UTSA (1-1) at Oklahoma State (1-1), Saturday 6 p.m.

(Line: Oklahoma State -14)

Will Oklahoma State turn to a two-quarterback system with juniors J.W. Walsh and Daxx Garman? Head coach Mike Gundy may answer that question Saturday against the Roadrunners.

No. 8 Baylor (2-0) at Buffalo (1-1), Friday 7 p.m., ESPN

(Line: Baylor -36)

Senior quarterback Bryce Petty is set to return to action after picking up an injury in week one. That doesn’t bode well for the Bulls.