Wildcat equestrian to host No. 9 New Mexico State

0
108

After last weekend’s competition against No. 2 South Carolina, K-State equestrian head coach Casie Maxwell felt her team’s competition was consistent in each event. Her hope is to see her team show that same consistency against New Mexico State today and South Dakota State on Friday.

It’ll be the first time that K-State has faced the Aggies since the 2012-13 season when the Wildcats claimed a 12-3 win. This year’s match will take place at Timbercreek Stables at 2:30 p.m. this afternoon.

Familiar faces will be seen in both sides of Western and Hunt Seat competition today. In Hunt seat, only one senior will be competing in captain Madison Wayda.

Several underclassmen have been drawn to compete in equitation over fences including sophomores Henley Adkins, Alexis Graves, Taylor Schmidt and lone freshman Molly Dunn.

Equitation on the flat will also showcase several sophomores including Adkins, Schmidt, Christina Martinelli and Gretchen Koenen.

The Western side of competition will serve as a repeat performance for several competitors from last weekend with only two seniors competing, captain Savannah Smith and Kelsey Sousa.

In horsemanship, junior captain Danielle Kemper will compete as well as sophomores Alyssa Lombardi and Sydney Anson. One underclassmen, freshman Kristen Chamberland will be making her first appearance of the season.

Drawing spots in the reining portion of today’s meet for upperclassmen includes juniors Nicholle Hatton and Kara Guy. Freshmen Brynn Critcher and Heidi Schmitz will be making their second appearance in the arena.

Critcher, who competed in her first collegiate competition Friday against South Carolina, said her goal this season is to improve her riding and adjust to the collegiate competition setting.

“I was super excited to represent the team and have the chance to do that,” Critcher said. “I was definitely nervous because it’s a lot of pressure but it was awesome to be able to represent the team.”