Quarterbacks take over each spot in the rankings

0
171
(George Walker | The Collegian)

No. 1: Baylor QB Bryce Petty (Last week: 1)

In three games, Petty has racked up 913 passing yards. Petty has picked these up in easy fashion, creating many opportunities for the Bears’ stacked roster. The senior has the Bears’ offense on his shoulders, but then again, any Baylor quarterback can succeed in Art Briles’ system. If you don’t believe it, look what sophomore Seth Russell did in Petty’s place in spot duty earlier this season.

What Petty has going for him is toughness and grit, playing with an injured back and willing himself and his team through tough spots.

No. 2: K-State QB Jake Waters (Last week: 2)

In the first four games of his senior season, Waters has already proven that he has improved and stands as one of the focal points of the Wildcat offense. Waters has thrown for 916 yards to start the season, while only throwing three interceptions.

Another strong assessment of his improvement is his ability to escape the pass rush. This season, he is second on the team in rushing yards with 215 yards. Last season, the senior signal caller rushed for a total of 312 yards.

No. 3: Oklahoma QB Trevor Knight (Last week: 3)

Knight has proven that he can contribute in a loaded Sooners’ backfield by passing for 1,065 yards.

In his last game, Knight looked shellshocked against the Mountaineers, but still produced 205 yards in the air. Because of his persistence and poise in the throwing game, his team has been able to hammer the ball on the ground.

No. 4: West Virginia QB Clint Trickett (Last week: 4)

Through four games, Trickett has passed for 1,600 yards and 400 yards per game, both which rank first in the Big 12. The senior is known to be able to pass the tightest of coverages and create massive amounts of production. Trickett is the bright spot for the Mountaineers this season and he’ll have to continue to produce if the team wants to continue to make a name for itself in the Big 12.

No. 5: Oklahoma State QB Daxx Garman (Last week: unranked)

The starting quarterback for the No. 21 Cowboys earned his spot on the top five with a gutsy performance at home against an undisciplined Texas Tech team. Garman averaged 11.7 yards per completion on the night.

Against the Red Raiders, Garman propelled his team to a win with four touchdowns, going 17 for 31 while throwing for 370 yards.