Smith falls out of first, ties for third in Firestone Invitational

0
144

Although Seth Smith was looking to put the finishing touches on an individual championship, the back nine of the Firestone Invitational led to three bogeys and third-place tie at 1-under par.

The sophomore was 4-under par going into day two and carded a birdie in his first hole, but it would not end nearly as well as it began as he finished at 3-over par in the final round.

Smith fell to the tournament’s individual champion, freshman Jose Montano of Xavier, by three strokes.

Sophomore Hank Simpson finished seven strokes behind Smith at 6-over par and finished tied for 27th. He would have been under par on the day if not for his triple bogey on the eighth hole.

Last week’s champion, sophomore Matt Green, continued to struggle on Tuesday. He finished his final round at 3-over, bringing his tournament total to 8-over par, tying him for 40th.

Freshman Trent Evans and sophomore Connor Knabe rounded out the scorecard for the Wildcats. Evans finished 14-over par and tied for 63rd. He had his best round of the tournament Tuesday when he was 2-over par.

Knabe, who finished 71st overall, suffered from a back-and-forth day as he was able to sink four birdies, but also suffered through three triple bogeys. That brought his score to 8-over for the day and 17-over for the tournament.

The Wildcats posted a 10-over par score as a team Tuesday, which dropped them all the way to eighth place for the tournament. The team came into the final round tied for fifth place.

K-State’s total score was 24-over par, which was 12 strokes back of tournament champion USC Aiken. They won the tournament by one stroke over Xavier, who collapsed in the final round.