K-State to host Alabama for Hunt Seat Invitational

0
187
Henley Adkins, sophomore hunter seat, takes a jump on Spot at the Sept. 25, 2014 meet against New Mexico at Timbercreek Stables. (Hannah Hunsinger | The Collegian)

After three consecutive wins at home, the K-State equestrian team will be back in the saddle Saturday to compete against the Crimson Tide. The event will begin at 10 a.m. at Timbercreek Stables and is a Hunt Seat Invitational.

According to K-State equestrian head coach Casie Maxwell, Alabama does not currently have a Western component to their equestrian team but is working on establishing one. Due to this limitation, Saturday’s meet will only feature Hunt Seat riders in equitation on the flat and equitation over fences.

“We are hosting them to let them feel out our format,” Maxwell said. “They are working to add a Western team, so this is an opportunity for them to compete in our setting.”

Maxwell explained that K-State equestrian has a seasoned squad of sophomores and upperclassmen that are showing more confidence this year.

“They are stepping up to the plate and not letting the pressure get to them anymore and I think that contributes to their success,” Maxwell said. “We’ve practiced and have improved on the mistakes we made two weekends ago.”

During the last two competitions against New Mexico State and South Dakota State, K-State saw high scores in the Hunt Seat division of competition.

Sophomore Henley Adkins accomplished the two highest scores in Hunt Seat for the team and has also been awarded four most outstanding performer awards.

The National Collegiate Equestrian Association announced its September Riders of the Month on Tuesday, with Adkins recognized in equitation on the flat. Riders who are awarded this honor are chosen based on their performances and by an NCEA selection committee.