The Peterson Bros. use YouTube and social media to advocate for farmers

0
281

While many music fanatics are familiar with the song, “I’m Sexy and I Know It,” the farming community and others are familiar with, “I’m Farming and I Grow It.” YouTube parodies produced by the Peterson Farm Bros. of Assaria, Kansas have exploded on social media with parodies of popular songs like “All I Do is Win,” “Roar” and “Gangnam Style.”

The brothers include Greg, Nathan and Kendal Peterson. They produce YouTube videos showcasing what life on the farm is all about – daily chores of taking care of livestock and crops, feeding the world and doing what they love – farming.

Over the years, the group’s videos have gained tremendous popularity with “Farmer Style” getting over 15 million views and “I’m Farming and I Grow It” being viewed over 9 million times.

“I decided to start making the YouTube videos after taking several agricultural communications classes at K-State,” Greg Peterson, K-State alumni and oldest Peterson brother, said. “What motivated me was when the videos began convincing my friends about how legit farming is. I have been a lifelong advocate of agriculture. In elementary school, I was always trying to convince my friends that farming was cool.”

When they began making videos in 2012, their goal was to educate consumers and those unfamiliar with farming about where their food comes from.

“As a K-State student and ag kid, it’s so cool to see what the Peterson Farm Bros. have done to advocate for the industry,” Kennedy St. George, senior in agricultural communications, said. “I am from Indiana and even people there have heard of the Peterson Farm Bros.”

The music parodies incorporate the brothers singing while completing daily tasks on the farm. Even though they love and enjoy the work, it’s not as easy as some may think.

“We feed (cattle) twice a day and it takes about two hours with two people,” Peterson said. “We have to read the bunks, calculate what to feed and where, load, feed and then check for cattle who may not be feeling well and, if necessary, doctor them.”

The brothers are part of the fifth-generation on their family farm. They primarily raise beef cattle and grow wheat, corn, alfalfa, milo and soybeans. The farm is still located on the same ground where it was established back in the 1800s.

“I grew up on our farm and was helping as early as preschool,” Peterson said. “I was even putting in full-time summer hours by 4th grade, which I loved.”

Currently, Peterson is a public speaker, video producer, t-shirt salesman and farm tour guide. He travels around the country and world advocating for production agriculture through presentations and social media. Peterson said he always knew he wanted to end up on the farm at some point later in life.

“When I was a kid I wanted to play in the NBA and then retire to farming,” Peterson said. “Once I realized that dream would not come to fruition, I started looking at other options. Farming was always a main option, but I definitely explored some other things, such as freelance writing for a magazine. My present goal is to still have a job along with farming that allows me to see the world, meet new people and exercise my creative thinking.”

Peterson said the brothers’ favorite activities on the farm include hauling grain, driving the combine during harvest, feeding the cattle and anything that includes all of the family working together.

“I enjoy anything we get to do with the whole family involved like wheat harvest and corn silage harvest,” Peterson said. “I also really like to feed the cattle every morning. It’s fun to drive the tractor and feed wagon – when the cattle see you coming out of the shed, they get all excited and run toward you. It’s like having a bunch of kids.”

Recently, the brothers began offering tours of their farm. According to Peterson, the brothers wanted to show what they do firsthand and how they do it featuring Kansas scenery, optional live field demonstrations, reenactments of scenes in YouTube parody videos and learning about the history of the farm. The tour also involves kid-related activities like playing on round bales, seeing farm animals and farm equipment.

“Being unfamiliar with production agriculture, I learned a lot about what producers do to get food on our tables,” Stephanie Ford, junior in pre-nursing, said. “I have gained a ton of respect for farmers and the hard work they put forth to feed the world.”

The brothers have had a great impact on the agriculture industry – an industry that is they and their family’s lifestyle. Now, when you hear “I’m Sexy and I Know It,” you may sing along to the parody, “I’m Farming and I Grow It.”