Big 12 offensive rankings: Trickett secures top spot on offensive side

0
228
K-State quarterback Jake Waters throws a pass on Saturday, October 4, 2014 at Bill Snyder Family stadium. (Emily DeShazer | The Collegian)

No. 1: West Virginia QB Clint Trickett (Last week: 2)

In his second year in Morgantown, West Virginia, senior quarterback Clint Trickett has become the man to beat in the rankings despite his team not getting much love to finish well in the Big 12. The No. 22 Mountaineers were picked to finish eighth in the conference to start the season, but Trickett and company have now tallied a marquee conference win after knocking off Baylor last Saturday.

Trickett sits third in the country in passing yards with 2,525. He outplayed Heisman hopeful Bryce Petty and looks to take his offense, which (not surprisingly) leads the Big 12 in passing, into Stillwater, Oklahoma to take on the reeling Cowboys.

No. 2: Baylor QB Bryce Petty (Last week: 1)

To start the season, Baylor’s senior quarterback looked like a man on a mission to lead his team to the inaugural College Football Playoff. Now, Petty is looking to get his team back to the top of the Big 12 after taking a thumping at the hands of the Mountaineers.

Petty couldn’t get momentum in the rowdy Milan Puskar Stadium, completing just 16 passes out of 36 attempts, while having only 223 passing yards to show for his effort. While the total passing yards isn’t a bad number for most quarterbacks, it is for the same quarterback that threw for 510 yards on TCU the week before.

No. 3: K-State QB Jake Waters (Last week: 3)

While the Wildcats senior quarterback isn’t known for putting up the kind of numbers that Trickett or Petty can, he does bring an aspect to the field that neither of those quarterbacks do, deceit. Waters and his offense heavily depend upon the option-running attack to move the ball. Without Waters’ ability to move the ball on the ground, this team would be dead in the water and not sitting at the top of the Big 12.

Waters accounts for 300.3 total offensive yards per game, including having the seventh best rushing attack in the conference with 61.8 rushing yards per game. His ability to fool the linebackers and secondary allow him to pass the ball and gain big chunks of yards.

No. 4: West Virginia WR Kevin White (Last week: 5)

The Mountaineers standout has become the most lethal receiving option for one of the best quarterbacks in the Big 12. It take three of the Mountaineers’ next best receivers in terms of yards to equal or surpass the production of White. The senior has 1,020 yards in only the first seven games.

He leads the Big 12 in receiving yards and was the first to top the 1,000-yard mark. His production is contributed to hard work and dedication because he didn’t have the hype of other receivers around the country. He’s had to earn every piece of attention he’s getting.

No. 5: TCU QB Trevone Boykin (Last week: unranked)

The Horned Frogs’ junior quarterback might be one of the most overlooked quarterbacks in the Big 12 and the nation. Boykin has proven that he can also tuck the ball and run, averaging 57.7 yards per game on the ground. He allows this offense to remain competitive and gives their defense the opportunity to be elite in the Big 12.

Emilio Rivera is a sophomore in mass communications.