Wildcats still struggling with offensive consistency

1
554
K-State wide receiver Tyler Lockett runs out of the grasp of Texas cornerback Quandre Diggs on Saturday, October 25, 2014 at Bill Snyder Family Stadium. (Emily DeShazer | The Collegian)

This season, K-State has taken shots and escaped with only bruises. Facing Texas was no different. Lucky for them, the issues that the offense had throughout the game were masked by their own defense’s trouncing of the Longhorns.

Texas plays a style of football that is streamlined by head coach Charlie Strong. It is with an ear back and a hard-hitting defensive style that is known to stop the pass.

This was specially evident in the red zone, where K-State was held to three field goals on five attempts inside the territory.

Bad passes may have been at an all-time high for senior quarterback Jake Waters, who whether injured or not, seemed to have issues passing the ball. Whether it was skipping a pass into the receiver or throwing a pass into a skilled Longhorn secondary, Waters seemed uncharacteristically inconsistent.

A part of this inconsistency came from holes in the offensive line. The unit struggled to mesh, which led to a few blown assignments.

The offensive lines’ faults, which seemed like they had fixed in recent weeks, were magnified because they were going against possibly the best defensive front in the Big 12. There is a reason why the Longhorns came into this week as the sack leader in the conference, and that is because the front seven might be the best group in the country.

Coming into the game, the Longhorns were the top pass defense, allowing barely 181.2 passing yards per game. The secondary made life tough for Waters, forcing him to make quick passes and forcing him into bad situations.

The good news for the Wildcats was that Waters did not throw any interceptions, continuing his streak of not throwing interceptions in conference games. He did have a multitude of passes that could have been picked, but he was bailed out by his receivers that played a little defense themselves.

Discipline has been a key rallying cry for Snyder and and it has allowed for the Wildcats to win multiple games due to no self-inflicted wounds.

Snyder’s team came into the game first in the nation with the fewest penalty yards, having only 182 yards. However, three penalties eliminated nearly 80 yards of offense for the Wildcats.

Defensively, the Wildcats did something that not many teams can do against the Longhorns, keeping the ball away from the tough multi-headed monster that is their running back duo. The Longhorns have eaten up more time of possession than all but one team in the conference, which unfortunately for them was the Wildcats.

The Wildcats and their rush-oriented scheme ate up over 39 minutes of the game clock, limiting the damage that the Longhorns could do and effectively keeping them from clawing their way back into the game.

Most importantly, if the Wildcats their offense stalling close to the end zone, their chances of winning the conference are slim-to-none. The person at the front of the issue is Waters and he’ll have to improve every game and push his team forward as they go into what might be the hardest stretch of their schedule.