K-State women’s tennis trio shines at Drake Jamboree

0
358
Sophomore Iva Bago returns a volley during practice Oct. 22 at the Mike Goss Tennis Stadium. (Parker Robb | The Collegian)

Led by senior Amina St. Hill and sophomores Iva Bago and Riley Nizzi’s perfect 4-0 records, the K-State tennis team finished their trip to Des Moines, Iowa with a 15-10 record in singles and 5-7 in doubles.

“Overall, we had a positive weekend,” K-State assistant coach Mark Denenfeld said in the postgame notes released by K-State Athletics. “We certainly saw improvement from Friday to Sunday in both singles and doubles. We certainly have areas to address specifically on the doubles court, but we were happy with the strides we made.”

Dating back to the OU Invitational in September, Bago holds a five-match winning streak, which is the longest for the team this season and is also a career high.

“Iva has been playing great these past couple of weeks, and she is finally starting to notice it and gain confidence from it,” K-State tennis coach Danielle Steinberg said. “We made a lot of adjustments to her game; she is putting a lot of hard work into it and we are very happy it’s all paying off.”

St. Hill has now set a career high with a four-match win streak after dropping her first three singles matches of the season.

“Amina had a strong day today in singles, playing confident and executing her game plan well,” Steinberg said. “Her positive attitude and fight is something us coaches can always count on, which makes our job a lot easier.”

Nizzi, who captured four of the five doubles wins for the Wildcats, won her first three matches with Cirnu and finished the weekend with a win alongside partner Maria Panaite.

Overall, the women’s tennis team has now recorded a 35-30 mark in singles play and 11-15 in doubles play.