Local and state talking points

0
207

Police arrest Junction City man in Aggieville

The Riley County Police Department arrested a man in Aggieville for aggravated assault, interference with law enforcement, felon in possession of a firearm and criminal carrying of a firearm early Sunday morning.

According to a department press release, Travis Allen, 36 of Junction City, was arrested at approximately 1:45 a.m. Sunday after officers responded to a report of a fight in an alley in the 1200 block of Moro Street. Police arrived and dispersed the fight, however witnesses said one of the suspects had threatened another with a handgun. A witness described the man and police found Allen had a handgun upon locating him.

Officers attempted to arrest Allen who resisted, making it impossible for police to control him. Officers then deployed an electronic control device to help control Allen. After an initial attempt failed, officers deployed the device twice more before gaining control of Allen. According to the release, Allen did not require any medical treatment due to the arrest and bond was set at $30,000.

RCPD Patrol Officer Ryan Doehling was transported to Mercy Regional Health Center for treatment of non-life threatening injuries sustained during the incident.

A call to the RCPD was not immediately returned.

Alumni wins PGA Tour event

Robert Streb won the McGladrey Classic Sunday after a two-hole playoff, his first PGA career win. He finished the final round 7-under par with a score of 63. That also included birdies on four-straight holes after a bogie on the 13th hole. Streb finished 14-under par for the tournament and won $1,008,000.

Streb graduated from K-State in 2009 with a degree in marketing, according to his website and pgatour.com profile.

Judge prohibits heterosexual couple from joining Kansas gay-marriage lawsuit

U.S. District Judge Daniel Crabtree denied a heterosexual couple the right to join a lawsuit by the American Civil Liberties Union, which which challenges the Kansas ban on gay marriage, on Friday.

According to an Associated Press article, the couple, Phillip and Sandra Unruh of Harper, Kansas, claimed in a filing Wednesday that they have a property right and an adverse decision in the case could lessen their marital status. Crabtree ruled the couple’s interests are already being defended by the Kansas attorney general’s office, according to the article.

Man dies in Wichita fire

Wichita firefighters found a man in the basement of a burning house early Friday morning.

According to the Wichita Eagle, the fire occurred at a rural house in Sedgwick County and was reported at 7:45 a.m. The man was found in the basement at 8:26 a.m. and was pronounced dead at 8:29 a.m. Local authorities told the Wichita Eagle the man was found unconscious and not breathing.

There was no reason to believe the victim’s death was suspicious, Sedgwick County Fire Chief Tavis Leake said in the article. The victim’s identity has not yet been released.

Shelton Burch
Shelton grew up in the desert southwest. A native of Lancaster, California, he mostly grew up in south Phoenix, Arizona; Austin, Texas; and Colorado Springs, Colorado before moving to Kansas and graduating from Junction City High School. He started working as a news writer for the Collegian in 2009 before taking a three-year break from college. He returned to K-State in 2013 and has since worked for the news desk, feature desk, as a copy editor and now as a sports writer. He enjoys tap dancing, writing anything possible, reading court opinions and watching Arizona Coyotes hockey.