Wildcat women finish eighth at Palmetto Intercollegiate

0
215
Photo courtesy of K-State Athletics

Coming into the final day of competition in Kiawah Island, South Carolina, K-State women’s golf dropped three spots in the overall team standings.

The Wildcats wrapped up play on Tuesday in the Palmetto Intercollegiate. The tournament took place Sunday, Monday and Tuesday in Kiawah Island, South Carolina.

Coming into the final day, the Wildcats were in fifth place. However, it was a struggle on the last day for the Wildcats as they fell to eighth place and ended at 42 over for the tournament.

“The team had played well in the first four events this fall with two team wins and two individual wins,” K-State head coach Kristi Knight said. “This game will keep you on your toes. It was not how we wanted to finish the fall season, but overall we are much improved and I am proud of our wins. We were just not as sharp mentally or physically this week.”

This was the final tournament of the fall season, wrapping up what could be called a successful fall season for the Wildcats. With two first place team finishes, the Wildcats showed they were a team to be reckoned with in the fall.

“It’s been a nice solid start,” Knight said. “The golf season is a long season, but this has certainly been a good start and it’s mainly do to what they’re doing every day.”

This has been a great all around season for the team, as every player has had a chance to contribute. Though there have been two standouts, senior Carly Ragains and freshman Connie Jaffrey, all of Knight’s players have done a good job making the team competitive.

“They’ve all contributed, we’ve had two individual winners,” Knight said. “Obviously Connie winning at Missouri and Olivia winning at Denver. Madison has been super solid in really all the events. She’s probably been the most steady. Carly finished second at Mizzou and played great.”

There have been a lot of highs for the Wildcats this season, and a lot of that can be attributed to how hard they practice.

“They’ve continued to practice well all fall and bring good focus and good energy to focus and that’s big,” Knight said. “I’m more proud of that than the results. I think their scores are due to what they’ve been doing every day. They’ve done a really good job of taking care of everyday and taking care of themselves and each other.”

As far as low points of the season, there haven’t been too many and that is good news for the Wildcats. Working hard at practice has kept the team from experiencing many lows this season.

“It’s been a good semester,” Knight said. “Certainly for some of the ladies there have been days that have been good learning experiences.”

The Wildcats played in five tournaments this semester with their lowest place in a tournament being ninth and two first place finishes as a team.

Although they struggled in the last tournament of the fall season, they have a lot to build off of for the spring season. It should be an exciting spring season for the Wildcats and expect them to bring next semeseter.

“(I’m) really proud of how the team’s playing, the key is what they’ve each done every day is what leads up to the bigger picture, that’s been the most valuable player,” Knight said. “All of them together has practiced well and took care of themselves and took care of the team.”