News Briefs

0
41

Dietitian said kids can have a little bit of candy on Halloween

Sandy Procter, assistant professor of human nutrition, said kids should be allowed to have some candy on Halloween, but she also emphasized that parents should still make sure their children are not eating too much.

“(Parents should) prioritize so that candy is not the main focus of Halloween,” Procter said.

Halloween is a time for costumes and running around with glow-sticks, Procter said. Kids would be just as happy with a limit on candy that should be discussed not only around Halloween, but also all year. By parents talking with their children about moderation and healthy choices, kids are learning to self-moderate, according to Procter. With a healthy diet all year long, kids should be able to indulge in a few pieces of candy on Halloween.

Riley County holds forum on Ebola safety, education commissioner candidates announced

Tuesday and Wednesday, Riley County and other health officials gathered to host a forum to educate on Ebola prevention and spotting it early. Jason Orr, public health emergency preparedness coordinator, spoke to educate Riley County about the steps being taken to prevent an Ebola outbreak in the area.

Symptoms, according to the Little Apple Post, take about eight to ten days to appear. Orr suggested avoiding contact with anyone or anything who may have Ebola, which is spread through bodily fluid contact, such as blood, vomit or contact with an animal or object that was exposed to the virus.

Orr also mentioned precautionary measures put in place in case of an outbreak. Hazardous materials have been distributed to hospitals, according to the Little Apple Post. Also if a person has a 100.4 degree temperature and had recently traveled to an area that has an Ebola problem should be reported to the Kansas Department of Health and the Center for Disease Control immediately.

Ten graduate students win annual research forum

According to News and Communications Services, Tuesday, K-State hosted the Research and the State forum, in which ten graduate students were selected to present their Kansas-related research at the 12th Capitol Graduate Research Summit in 2015.

Thirty-seven graduate students from five colleges represented 15 departments in the Research and the State. All the winners received $250 scholarships and the chance to present their research to Kansas legislators. Two students will be selected from each college to receive a $500 scholarship.

According to News and Communications Services, the research being presented are diverse in topic but all focus on important issues to Kansas such as animal health, nutritional quality of grain products, food safety and more.

Kelsey Kendall
Hi everyone! I'm a senior in journalism and cultural anthropology. My favorite things are storytelling, coffee and meeting new people. In that order.