Big 12 power rankings: Oklahoma jumps West Virginia at No. 4

0
304

1) No. 6 TCU (7-1, 4-1) 31-30 win at West Virginia

(Last week: 1)

With junior Trevone Boykin, who’s arguably the best quarterback in the conference right now, the Horned Frogs see themselves at the top of the conference. Boykin controls this team’s success and when he is rolling, this team is nearly unstoppable.

However, TCU was exposed by a very good defense on Saturday. Boykin was held to just over 100 yards of passing and they were lucky to escape Morgantown with the win. If they don’t get their wagon rolling, they could be in trouble against the Wildcats next weekend. It’ll be an old-fashioned contender versus pretender matchup.

2) No. 9 K-State (7-1, 5-0) 48-14 win vs. Oklahoma State

(Last week: 2)

Defense was the name of the game for the Wildcats and they possess arguably one of the best defenses in the conference. The performance might be overshadowed by the Oklahoma State’s offensive struggles, but the defense did what it was supposed to do against a struggling opponent. When this defense is firing and winning the turnover battle, watch out.

The offense is something that has taken time to mold itself. Bolstered by two high-octane wide receivers that may not receive national attention, seniors Curry Sexton and Tyler Lockett are proven playmakers and spread defenses to their limits. The offensive line had to be commended for their recent play as protection for senior quarterback Jake Waters has been much better of late.

3) No. 10 Baylor (7-1, 4-1) 60-14 win vs. Kansas

(Last week: 3)

Baylor looked unstoppable against Kansas at home, but did anyone think that would go any differently? The Bears were expected to win big and they didn’t let anyone down.

With 669 yards of total offense, the Bears looked unstoppable against the mediocre Jayhawk secondary, both through the air and on the ground. After their showdown on Saturday against Oklahoma, Baylor has smooth sailing ahead until they end the season against K-State on Dec. 6.

4) No. 16 Oklahoma (6-2, 3-2) 59-14 win at Iowa State

(Last week: 5)

When Sooners’ quarterback Trevor Knight can lead his team in rushing with 146 yards, it is a good sign that Oklahoma is in offensive control. When the Sooners have over 500 yards rushing, it is a near guarantee that they will win the possession battle and the game.

The Sooners had three 100-yard performances on the ground at Iowa State last Saturday. While Knight had a very lackluster performance through the air, throwing for two interceptions with three touchdowns, the team reverted to the old-school ground and pound to repeatedly shove the ball down the throats of the Cyclones. If the Sooners maintain this approach, they’re going to end this season on a big note.

5) No. 24 West Virginia (6-3, 4-2) 31-30 loss vs. TCU

(Last week: 4)

West Virginia exposed TCU’s offense, but unfortunately the Horned Frogs exposed the Mountaineers offense just as affectively. The conference’s leading passer, senior Clint Trickett, was held to season-low 162 passing yards and two interceptions for the afternoon. This offense, with all of its power, was held to nothing all game and when they had the game in their hands, they let the Horned Frogs steal it from them.

Another intriguing storyline came in the form of senior receiver Kevin White’s 28-yard performance. This was his second-straight game with under par production after having seven-straight games of 100 or more receiving yards. If defenses can find ways to control him, it’ll go a long way into beating the Mountaineers home or away.

6) Oklahoma State (5-4, 3-3) 48-14 loss at K-State

(Last week: 6)

After a beautiful drive to start the game against the Wildcats, the Cowboys fell off the map. Unlike last season where J.W. Walsh and Clint Chelf were able to be used interchangeably, Oklahoma State has limited choices other than quarterback Daxx Garman.

7) Texas (4-5, 3-3) 34-13 win at Texas Tech

(Last week: 7)

The rebuilding Longhorns finally picked up a decent win against a conference opponent. It is no secret that this ailing Texas team is just trying to limp to the end of Charlie Strong’s inaugural season. With the talent that the Longhorns have, they could bounce back at any moment. However, this historic program just isn’t very good this season.

8) Texas Tech (3-6, 1-5) 34-13 loss vs. Texas

(Last week: 8)

Simply put, the Red Raiders may have one of the worst defenses in Big 12 history. They are allowing over 41 points per game, which is fifth from the bottom in the nation. With all of the potential they had with a healthy Davis Webb, they squandered it all with the injuries. You know your season has very little potential when you go to your third-string walk-on quarterback.

On the bright side, the Testaverde name is relevant again. Who would have thought?

9) Iowa State (2-6, 0-5) 59-14 loss vs. Oklahoma

(Last week: 9)

One thing that can be said about these Cyclones is that they are consistent. They have shown that they don’t waver from their mediocrity. They finally have a chance to win a conference game in a trip to Lawrence next Saturday.

10) Kansas (2-6, 0-5) 60-14 loss at Baylor

(Last week: 10)

For the first time this season, the Jayhawks have a scenario that looks positive. Their matchup against Iowa State might rival K-State and TCU as one of the more competitive games of the week. It just won’t be for the same reasons.

Emilio Rivera is a sophomore in mass communications.