K-State offers value for freshmen, transfer students

0
109

According to the most recent data available from K-State’s Office of Planning and Analysis, 3,821 first-time freshmen and 1,509 transfer students enrolled at K-State during the fall 2013 semester.

Juwan Moore, freshman in computer science, said he knew he wanted to come to K-State since his freshman year of high school.

“My cousin and my uncle attended K-State,” Moore said. “When I visited the campus and got a feel for the campus atmosphere, I liked how people here are very friendly. I also like how K-State excels in academics and has a great engineering program.”

K-State provides several chances for incoming freshmen to visit the university, such as senior days for the different Kansas regions in Kansas, out-of-state senior days and Wildcat Warm-Up. K-State also has bridge programs to help students with the transition from high school to college life – like the Multicultural Academic Program Success, a program that allows admitted students to spend their summer earning college credits, receive mentorship and make new friends.

“I like the fact that K-State gives out opportunities during the summer to get ahead academically,” Moore said.

For transfer students, there are similar opportunities, such as transfer day and the Transfer Student BRIDGE Program, which aims to identify minority students and pair them with mentors during their first semester at K-State.

Caleb Taylor, senior in biology, said he visited friends in Manhattan before he decided to enroll at K-State. However, it was not until his visit on transfer day that Taylor decided to attend the university.

“I was looking to transfer and various things went into my decision making, such as affordability, academics and climate,” Taylor said. “Since being at K-State, I have developed a strong support system and have been able to excel academically.”

Qualification

There may be similarities in why these students chose to come to K-State. However, there are a few notable differences between freshmen and transfer student enrollment.

Bill Disberger, assistant director in undergraduate admissions, said the actual application process is different for freshmen and transfer students.

“When it comes to freshmen, we use their high school GPA and ACT score,” Disberger said. “When it comes to transfer students, we look at their college work from their previous institution.”

To qualify as a transfer student at K-State, applicants are required to have 24 or more completed transfer hours. Applicants must also have a minimum 2.0 GPA on all transfer course work by the time they start at K-State. Students with fewer than 24 hours must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 on all transfer course work, but also meet the freshmen admission standards corresponding to high school graduation year.

“There is no such thing as a traditional transfer student,” Disberger said. “Some students know upfront that they want to attend K-State but wait to transfer because of location, financial reasons or an activity. Students transfer for various reasons, such as they didn’t like their previous institution or they decided to change their major and that major isn’t offered at the old institution.”

Application deadline

There is also a notable difference in deadlines for freshmen and transfer students.

“For (transfer) students attending school in the fall, Feb. 1 is the scholarship priority deadline,” Disberger said. “Nov. 1 is the scholarship priority deadline for freshmen.”

However, some scholarships have special deadlines.

On the K-State admissions page, students can find a link for deadlines and other important information.

When it comes to admissions, applications for admission are accepted up to 15 months before the first day of class each semester. An admissions decision will be made before the first day of classes if an application file is complete at least seven working days before the first day of classes. Otherwise, the decision may be delayed until after the first day of classes, and a $50 fee will be assessed to the student account for late enrollment.

Whether it’s first time freshmen or students who transferred to K-State through another college, each student brings a unique perspective and story that makes us all a part of the Wildcat family.