Big 12 power rankings: Red Raiders move up in loss

0
246

1) No. 5 TCU (9-1, 6-1), 34-30 win at Kansas

(Last week: 1)

In what might be the worst game they’ve played all season, the Horned Frogs came back from a 27-17 deficit to down the upset-minded Jayhawks in Lawrence. This game can be tallied as a a gut check of sorts and took a 128-yard rushing performance from junior Aaron Green to stop the Jayhawk onslaught.

Junior quarterback Trevone Boykin had a prominent performance with 330 passing yards, but had an interception that gave momentum to the Jayhawks at home. The game really came down to the supporting cast for the Horned Frogs, including a long punt return from sophomore Cameron Echols-Luper to get over the hump.

2) No. 6 Baylor (8-1, 5-1), bye

(Last week: 2)

3) No. 12 K-State (7-2, 5-1), bye

(Last week: 3)

4) Texas (6-5, 5-3), 28-7 win at Oklahoma State

(Last week: 4)

Even with the injury issues that the Longhorns have had to overcome, they have been able to make a comeback in a competitive conference. Head coach Charlie Strong has gotten his team in a rhythm and has pulled out a bowl bid when it didn’t look possible.

Sophomore quarterback Tyrone Swoopes has become the quarterback and playmaker that his team needs. Against the Cowboys, the Longhorns’ signal caller threw for 305 yards and a pair of touchdowns to win in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

5) West Virginia (6-4, 4-3), bye

(Last week: 5)

6) Oklahoma (7-3, 4-3), 42-30 win at Texas Tech

(Last week: 6)

The Sooners have played as near playoff qualifiers and as full disappointments. Head coach Bob Stoops may be feeling the pressure after his team’s recent performance. If his team hadn’t found a late rally, the pressure would’ve been even worse for the 16-year head coach.

The Sooners were not helped in any form by their sophomore quarterback Cody Thomas, who was filling in for injured Trevor Knight. The Sooners might be in for a real surprise at the end of the season as they don’t look to be in any form to compete against major opponents.

7) Texas Tech (3-7, 1-6), 42-30 loss vs. Oklahoma

(Last week: 8)

For all that the Red Raiders had going for them against the Sooners, they blew another big opportunity for a win. For all that it is worth, they showed the talent that they have on the team with a gutsy performance. Most impressively, this is all with a backup quarterback, which is why they move up despite the loss.

8) Oklahoma State (5-5, 3-4), 28-7 loss vs. Texas

(Last week: 7)

The Cowboys, who are another Big 12 team that looked decent at the beginning of the conference slate, showed exactly why they can’t compete against high-caliber teams. They got dominated at home, which is something that no team wants. They could be looking at major changes in the offseason.

9) Kansas (3-7, 1-6), 34-30 loss vs. TCU

(Last week: 9)

Even at home, no one would have ever thought that they had an ounce of a shot against one of the best teams in the country. The Jayhawks actually showed fight against TCU, which is something they normally don’t make a habit of doing. Maybe it was the feeling of coming off of their first conference win of the season, but whatever it was, they need to keep it going as they try to finish off their season.

10 Iowa State (2-7, 0-6), bye

(Last week: 10)