Business fraternity raises money for scholarship

0
100

For the third year since her death, the memory of Rebecca Trible has lived on via Alpha Kappa Psi’s Scrabble Run.

Trible was a member of the co-ed business fraternity and junior at K-State when she died in a car accident in October 2007. Last Saturday, Alpha Kappa Psi hosted its third annual Scrabble Run which raises money for the Rebecca Trible Memorial Scholarship.

“The purpose of the run is to raise money to fund a scholarship in her honor,” Joahna Roney, sophomore in accounting and scholarship chair for Alpha Kappa Psi, said.

During the Scrabble Run, participants took their game card to five different locations throughout Aggieville. At Fuzzy’s (the beginning location) and Kite’s (the ending location) participants would draw two letters. At Tubby’s, Big Poppi’s Bicycle Shop and Tanner’s, they drew one letter. The objective was to get the highest scoring word.

Participants paid $5 to participate and were entered into the raffle. They could pay $1 for additional raffle tickets.

“We are raffling off Tubby’s gift cards, Tanner’s gift cards, a Big Poppi gift card, car wash passes and a couple different t-shirts,” said Chris Garten, junior in business management and promotions and scholarship chair for Alpha Kappa Psi.

Depending on how much money was raised, the scholarship will be awarded to one or two members of Alpha Kappa Psi in the spring.

Though the fraternity put together smaller events to help raise additional money, the scrabble run is the main event to raise scholarship money.

Before the Scrabble run, Alpha Kappa Psi used to host a poker run. Dominic Deleon, sophomore in accounting and president of Alpha Kappa Psi, said the poker run may come back in the future.

“We used to do a poker run, then it was deemed illegal,” Deleon said. “Now we do Scrabble, but we might start doing poker again now that it’s legal.”

The grand prize was a pair of Beats headphones, given to the participant with the highest-scoring word.

“The real cool thing is that this year’s winner is the sister-in-law of the member who we pay tribute to,” Roney said.

This year, the winning word was “joyed,” which was worth 16 points.

“I participated because my husband is Rebecca’s brother,” Shelby Trible, graduate student in grain science and winner of this year’s Scrabble Run, said. “Regardless of winning, I had lots of fun and I am happy to remember Rebecca and be together with family and friends.”